Air Fryer Artichokes are the perfect appetizer or side dish to serve to friends and family. These garlic and lemon artichokes are seasoned just right and extra delicious when dipped into this zesty homemade garlic aioli sauce.
Can You Air Fry Artichokes?
Yes, you can make artichokes in the air fryer. The air fryer cooks artichokes in a fraction of the time and tastes just as scrumptious as oven baking.
The air fryer uses high heat and a fan to circulate hot air all around the artichokes to cook them quickly and evenly.
Can You Cook a Whole Artichoke in an Air Fryer?
Yes, you can as long as you cut it in half, as we do in this air fryer artichoke recipe.
Since an artichoke is layered and thicker at the bottom, cutting them in half is the best way to cook the whole artichoke evenly. Plus, artichokes are best seasoned before cooking.
If you choose to cook the whole artichoke at once, you’ll need to add a few minutes to the cooking time to make sure the center of the heart is fully cooked.
Why You’ll Love Air Fryer Artichokes
Although cooking artichokes can be a little intimidating this delicious appetizer is much easier to make than you might think.
The benefits of this air fryer artichokes recipe:
- Prep time only takes about 10 minutes.
- It’s much quicker to air fry artichokes! It takes significantly less time than cooking in the oven (which takes almost an hour). These air fried artichokes and garlic aioli sauce are ready in 8 minutes!
- Artichokes have a high amount of fiber, are a good source of essential vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants.
- A total crowd pleaser, your dinner guests will love this tasty appetizer.
How Long To Cook Artichoke in the Air Fryer?
Cook artichokes for 8 minutes in the air fryer, flipping them over once at the 4 minute mark.
Keep in mind that the required cook time will vary depending on the size of the artichokes. A smaller one will require less time than a larger artichoke.
Also, if you choose not to preheat the air fryer, you may need to add another few minutes to your cook time.
You’ll know the artichokes are finished cooking when you can easily remove an outer leaf.
What Does Artichoke Taste Like?
Raw artichokes are firm with tough outer leaves and have a bitter taste. Once you cook them, the leaves soften and the artichoke meat on each leaf and the artichoke heart becomes soft and slightly sweetens.
They really have their own taste, but do have a taste similar to Brussel sprouts or asparagus. Some say they have a hint of nutty flavor.
Air Fryer Artichokes Ingredients
ARTICHOKES: This simple recipe calls for 2 fresh artichokes. When choosing yours at the store feel how much they weigh. A good artichoke will feel solid and full. An old artichoke will feel light.
OLIVE OIL: Brushing on olive oil to the insides of the artichoke halves helps the seasonings to stick while cooking. As well as soften them in the short amount of cook time. I typically use olive oil, but avocado oil would work well with this recipe.
SALT AND PEPPER: Freshly cracked black pepper and kosher or iodized salt to add more flavors.
GARLIC POWDER: A little bit of garlic powder adds fullness to the flavor. If you only have garlic salt on hand, omit the salt above and use a little garlic salt.
LEMON: Freshly squeezed lemon juice or juice from concentrate brightens the taste.
Garlic Aioli Sauce Ingredients
Aioli sauce is the favorite dipping sauce for air fried artichokes. Here’s an easy recipe that tastes amazing:
MAYONNAISE: Use a 1/2 cup mayonnaise as the base
MINCED GARLIC: A Tablespoon of freshly minced garlic works but you can also use dried minced garlic.
CRACKED PEPPERCORN: There’s nothing like fresh cracked peppercorn to really bring out some fresh flavor, and you won’t be cracking long, you only need a half teaspoon.
DILL: A teaspoon of fresh dill is best, but if you need to, you can use dried dill weed.
PAPRIKA: Be sure to use regular paprika, not smoked paprika as that will change the taste of this aioli dipping sauce.
LEMON WEDGES: We need 2 lemon wedges for the dip.
How to Make Air Fryer Artichokes
STEP 1: Start by preparing your artichokes for cooking.
- First, removing the stems and tops of the artichokes.
- Next, remove the top half-inch or so of the artichoke and cut the tip off of each artichoke leaf.
- Then cut the artichoke in half lengthwise.
- Remove the fluff, or the small hair-like pieces (called the “choke”) by scooping them out with a spoon.
STEP 2: Squeeze lemon juice on the inside of the artichoke halves to add flavor and keep the insides from turning brown.
STEP 3: Brush olive oil on the outside and inside of the artichoke halves. Sprinkle salt, pepper and garlic powder on the insides.
STEP 4: Preheat the air fryer for 1-2 minutes (depending on your model) at 350 degrees F.
STEP 5: Place the artichokes in the air fryer basket with the inside of the halves facing upwards. Cook for 4 minutes. Turn them over and cook for another 4 minutes.
STEP 7: While they’re cooking in the air fryer, mix the aioli sauce ingredients together in a small bowl.
STEP 8: Remove artichokes from the air fryer, and let slightly cool before serving with a lemon wedge and garlic aioli sauce.
How To Eat Artichokes
Start by pulling off an outer leaf, dipping the bottom end with artichoke meat into your favorite dip, like our garlic aioli sauce.
Next, scrape the little bit of soft artichoke flesh off the leaf with your front teeth and discard the leaf.
Once you’ve worked through all the leaves, you’ll have the heart of the artichoke left which is tender and delicious spritzed with fresh lemon juice and dipped in sauce.
How To Store Air Fryer Artichokes
The best way to store air-fried artichokes is wrapped in paper towels in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
if you don’t have the right sized container, use heavy-duty aluminum foil or plastic wrap.
Properly stored cooked artichokes should last 3-5 days in the refrigerator.
Store your aioli dip in a separate airtight container in the fridge and it should also last about 3-5 days, just make sure to give it a good stir before using.
How to Reheat Artichokes
For best results, toss Air Fryer Artichokes back in the air fryer basket and cook for 4-6 minutes at 350F.
More Air Fryer Recipes
Love easy recipes? Here are a few more air fryer appetizers you’ll love!
Air Fryer Artichokes are an easy recipe for a quick and healthy appetizer everyone will love!
Air Fryer Artichokes
- 2 Artichokes
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 Lemon
Garlic Aioli Sauce
- 1/2 cup Mayonnaise
- 1 Tablespoon Minced Garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon Cracked Peppercorn
- 1 teaspoon Paprika
- 1 teaspoon Dill
- 2 lemon wedges, squeezed
- Prepare the artichokes. Remove the stem and the top half inch from the artichoke. Cut the tip off each artichoke leaf. Cut both artichokes in half lengthwise. At the center of the heart, there are small fuzzy hair like pieces. Remove these by scooping them out with a spoon.
- Squeeze lemon juice on the inside of the artichoke halves.
- Brush olive oil on the inside and outside of the artichokes.
- Season the inside with salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Preheat your air fryer to 350 degrees F.
- Place artichoke halves in the air fryer basket with the insides facing upward and cook for 4 minutes. Flip the artichoke halves over and cook for 4 more minutes.
- While the artichokes cook, mix all the aioli sauce ingredients together with a spoon in a small bowl.
- Remove artichokes from the air fryer and let slightly cool. Serve with garlic aioli sauce and a lemon wedge.
See recipe posts for additional information.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 276Total Fat: 24gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 20gCholesterol: 12mgSodium: 478mgCarbohydrates: 15gFiber: 6gSugar: 2gProtein: 3g
Nutritional values are estimates and not exact.