These Air Fryer Southwest Egg Rolls are full of savory southwest flavors. Deliciously crispy egg rolls stuffed with perfectly cooked chicken, black beans, corn, peppers, cheese and southwest spices that are irresistibly mouth-watering.
Bring the spice back into your life with these lively Air Fryer Southwest Egg Rolls! A Southwestern fiesta like no other, these flavorful egg rolls are oozing with delicious spices such as cumin, chili powder, onions and fresh jalapeno peppers.
The tender and juicy center of these air fryer southwest egg rolls are filled with chicken, black beans and corn then wrapped up and air fried to a golden crisp.
One of my favorite things at Chili’s restaurant is their southwestern egg rolls. And this recipe is so delicious you won’t even think about ordering out from your local Chili’s. You can make your own air fryer southwestern egg rolls right at home!
And if you’re loving crispy air fryer appetizers, try this amazing Air Fryer Frozen Toasted Ravioli. Take frozen ravioli and dip in egg and roll in Panko bread crumbs for a quick and delicious appetizer. Love crispy egg rolls? Try these Air Fryer Avocado Egg Rolls (so yum!!).
Plus, with the quick air fry time and less oil since you’re not using a deep fryer, these healthier southwest egg rolls will be ready in a flash.
Need a fabulous game day appetizer? These homemade egg rolls will be perfect for your super bowl party. Air fryer recipes are my favorite and if you are planning a party, add these Air Fryer Cheese Sticks (Homemade Easy!), Garlic Parmesan Wings Air Fryer, and / or Air Fryer Frozen Toasted Raviolis.
Alright, grab your bottle of avocado ranch dressing for a creamy dip because these air fryer southwest egg rolls are ready for a party!
You only need a few simple tools to make air fryer southwest egg rolls.
- Cutting Board
- Spatula / Wooden Spoon
- Small Bowl
- Air Fryer
Air Fryer Southwest Egg Rolls Ingredients
Here’s the ingredient list of everything you’ll need to make Air Fryer Southwest Egg Rolls:
Southwest Spices: Garlic Powder, Cumin, Chili Powder, Salt and Black Pepper.
Chicken Breast: Approximately 8 ounces of chicken breast diced.
Oil: Vegetable oil for cooking the chicken and olive oil nonstick cooking spray for a crispy egg roll in the air fryer.
Canned Corn: Rinsed and drained. You can substitute with frozen corn.
Canned Black Beans: Also rinsed and drained.
Red Bell Pepper: Finely chopped. If your tastes prefer green or yellow over red bell peppers, then use the color you enjoy most.
Onion: White or a yellow onion diced.
Frozen Chopped Spinach
Jalapeno Pepper: Seeded and diced. Optional ingredient, depending on your tastes and desired heat for this recipe.
Fresh Cilantro: It brings such a freshness to the flavor. I know everyone doesn’t love cilantro, so this is also an optional ingredient depending on your tastes.
Shredded Cheese: Monterey Jack Cheese works perfectly.
Egg Roll Wrappers: You will find egg roll wrappers in the refrigerated or frozen department in your grocery store.
Variations and Substitutions:
You can substitute or leave out several ingredients in these southwest egg rolls to suit your tastes.
- If you don’t like onions, leave them out or substitute with green onions if preferred.
- If you’re not a fan of cilantro, simply leave it out of the recipe.
- If jalapeno peppers are too hot for your tastes, use a drained can of green chiles.
- You can add different flavors of cheese based on your tastes. If you would like less Monterey Jack, substitute some of it with cheddar cheese or pepper jack cheese.
- You could substitute the seasonings with a packet of taco seasoning or fajita season. They are both similar to the spices used in this recipe.
Any of these variations or subs will change the taste of this recipe, but should still give you delicious air fryer southwest egg rolls.
Here are the step-by-step directions on how to make air fryer southwest egg rolls:
Step 1: Prep your vegetables for the southwest air fryer egg rolls. Drain and rinse canned corn and black beans. Finely chop the red bell pepper. Dice onion and jalapeno peppers (remove the jalapeno seeds) and mince fresh cilantro.
Step 2: Grate the Monterey Jack Cheese.
Step 3: Dice chicken into small pieces.
Step 4: Heat a large skillet on medium heat.
Step 5: Add chicken and oil to the heated skillet and brown the chicken.
Step 6: Once chicken is cooked, stir in all the vegetables and spices. Cook for another 5 minutes to heat the vegetables and infuse the spices.
Step 7: Once fully cooked, remove from heat and mix in the cheese.
Step 8: Grab you egg roll wrappers and a small bowl of water. Place one egg roll wrapper on a flat surface in a diamond shape. A cutting board or even a baking sheet works perfectly for a flat surface.
Using a dab of water, wet all the edges of the wrapper to make the egg rolls easier to fold and seal.
Step 9: Add a 1-2 tablespoons of the chicken mixture onto the center of the wrapper. Be careful not to overfill your egg rolls. You’ll need to tightly roll them to prevent any spillage in the air fryer.
Step 10: Fold the egg roll wrappers from opposite corners. Start by folding in the left and right corners.
Next, fold in the top corner and tightly roll the wrapper closed.
Add a few dabs of water to help seal the egg roll wrappers closed. Continue until you finish rolling all the southwest egg rolls.
Step 11: Spray egg rolls with olive oil nonstick cooking spray. This will make the wrappers crisp up.
Step 12: Place egg rolls in the air fryer basket in a single layer. Cook on 320 degrees for 6 minutes, flip the egg rolls over to cook evenly on all sides. Add another 2 minutes cook time, for a total cooking time of 8 minutes.
Note: Depending on the size of your air fryer basket, you may need to cook the egg rolls in two batches in order to keep them in a single layer.
Note: Every air fryer is slightly different and cook times may vary. You’ll know the egg rolls are done when they are a golden brown.
Step 13: Transfer the southwest egg rolls from the air fryer to cooling tray / wire rack and allow to slightly cool.
Step 14: Serve with your favorite dipping sauces.
I have to applaud the air fryer for delivering an impeccable egg roll crust!
Usually, you need a few cups of canola oil and butter to get a crust as golden brown as this one, but after one flip in the air fryer basket, these air fryer egg rolls were evenly crispy on all sides.
Just as delicious as deep fried but a little healthier and less messy!
Dipping Sauce Ideas
Serve with a creamy dipping sauce is my recommendation. Here are a few dipping sauce ideas:
- Avocado Ranch – if you want to make your own creamy dipping sauce, here’s a great recipe for Avocado Ranch dip.
- Southwestern Ranch
- Salsa Ranch
- Regular Ranch
- Salsa – here’s a delicious and easy homemade fresh salsa recipe that’s swoon worthy!
You may want to offer toppings, although these are so tasty they don’t need anything extra. But, if you want to include extra toppings, here are a few ideas:
- Sour Cream
- Pico de Gallo
- Soy Sauce
Storing Leftover Southwest Egg Rolls
Hard to believe you have leftovers! But if you do, place the remaining egg rolls in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
Air fryer southwest egg rolls are best when reheated in the air fryer to regain the crispy golden brown exterior.
Preheat the air fryer to 320 degrees F (approximately 2 minutes) and cook for 3-5 minutes.
There’s no harm in opening your air fryer to check on the reheating progress. Every air fryer is different so check after 3 minutes to make sure these delicious southwestern egg rolls don’t over cook.
More Air Fryer Recipes
If you’re looking for more delicious recipes from the air fryer, here are several favorites:
Air Fryer Southwest Egg Rolls are sure to be a hit at mealtime and with less than 30 minutes to make, you can have these air fried egg rolls wrapped up and served in a flash.
Enjoy as a stand-alone main course or serve for delicious party appetizers. Either way, this air fryer southwest egg roll recipe will be well loved.
- 1/4 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon Chili Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Pepper
- 1 tablespoon Vegetable Oil
- 8 oz of Chicken Breast
- 1/4 cup Canned Corn, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup Canned Black Beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup Red Bell Pepper, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup Onion, diced
- 1/4 cup Frozen Chopped Spinach
- 1 Jalapeno Peppers, diced
- 1 tablespoon Fresh Cilantro, minced
- 1 cup Shredded Monterey Jack Cheese
- 6-8 egg roll wrappers
- Prep your vegetables for the southwest air fryer egg rolls. Drain and rinse canned corn and black beans. Finely chop the red bell pepper. Dice onion and jalapeno peppers (remove the jalapeno seeds) and mince fresh cilantro.
- Grate the Monterey Jack Cheese.
- Dice chicken into small pieces.
- Heat a large skillet on medium heat.
- Add chicken and oil to the heated skillet and brown the chicken.
- Stir in all prepped vegetables and spices. Cook for another 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and mix in cheese.
- Grab you egg roll wrappers and a small bowl of water. Place one egg roll wrapper on a flat surface in a diamond shape and wet the egg roll wrapper edges .
- Add a 1-2 tablespoons of the chicken mixture onto the center of the wrapper.
- Fold egg roll wrappers from opposite corners. Start by folding in the left and right corners. Fold in the top corner and tightly roll the wrapper closed. Seal with a few dabs of water.
- Spray egg rolls with olive oil nonstick cooking spray.
- Place egg rolls in air fryer basket in a single layer. Cook at 320 degrees for 6 minutes, flip the egg rolls over and add 2 minutes cook time.
- Transfer the southwest egg rolls from the air fryer to cooling tray / wire rack and allow to slightly cool.
- Serve with favorite dipping sauces.
See post for recipe variations, substitutions and tips.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 230Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 36mgSodium: 304mgCarbohydrates: 23gFiber: 2gSugar: 1gProtein: 16g
Nutritional values are estimates and not exact.