Air Fryer Zucchini Fritters are nutritious and deliciously flavorful! These perfectly seasoned, crispy zucchini fritters are an excellent choice for an appetizer or side dish, plus it’s the best way to use up those extra zucchinis or sneak some vegetables into your diet.
There’s no two ways about it: Air Fryer Zucchini Fritters are delicious! But did you know that they can be even healthier when cooked in an air fryer?
That’s right, with the help of your trusty little kitchen appliance, you can enjoy these crispy treats without all the added fat and oil.
Compared to traditional deep-frying, air frying reduces the amount of fat in your food, resulting in a lighter and healthier dish, making these air fryer zucchini cakes a great low carb and tasty way to cook zucchini.
What are Zucchini Fritters?
Traditional zucchini fritters are deep fried cakes or small patties made with shredded zucchini and spices. Of course, this cooking method is a bit messy, time consuming and less healthy.
So, the best part about this recipe? Air fried zucchini fritters are a healthier, easier alternative that still delivers on crunchy deliciousness!
Why You’ll Love Air Fryer Zucchini Fritters
- The perfect way to use up that extra zucchini!
- These crispy zucchini fritters are perfect as a quick snack, light lunch, great appetizer, or easy side dish and even kids love them.
- There are only a handful of ingredients in this air fryer zucchini fritters recipe, most of which can be found in your spice cupboard.
- The crispy texture of these tasty fritters will make this a favorite recipe.
- The prep time is just a few basic steps that won’t take much more than 2-3 minutes.
More Air Fryer Vegetables
These Air Fryer Rosemary Potatoes make the best side dish too!
Kitchen Equipment Needed
- Box grater / Food Processor
- Cheesecloth / Clean Kitchen Towel / Paper Towels
- Air Fryer
- Wooden spoon
- Aluminum Foil or Air Fryer Parchment Paper
All you need are simple ingredients for this recipe:
ZUCCHINI: To pick a good, fresh zucchini, make sure it is around 6-8 inches long with dark green skin.
EGG: The eggs will help hold these fritters together while giving some flavor.
SALT: Salt always accentuates the flavors of everything else in the dish.
BAKING POWDER: This will help this delicious snack to gain a bit of a rise.
GARLIC POWDER: Garlic powder is necessary for that delicious savory flavor!
ONION POWDER: Adds a light all over onion flavor.
ITALIAN SEASONING: This blend of common spices brings a deepness to the zucchini.
CHILI FLAKES: This adds a little kick to this great recipe.
ALL-PURPOSE FLOUR: This combines with the eggs to make the batter.
OIL OR COOKING SPRAY: Adding a little olive oil or non-stick cooking spray will help these air fryer zucchini patties crisp up just right in the air fryer.
How to Make Air Fryer Zucchini Fritters
STEP 1: Shred the zucchini against the large holes of a box grater. You can also use a food processor to shred the zucchini. Once shredded, use cheese cloth or clean dish towel to remove the excess moisture. Several strong paper towels will work as well.
TIP: Remove as much excess liquid as you can to get a more crispy air fryer zucchini fritters.
STEP 2: Combine the shredded zucchini with all of the other ingredients in a medium bowl. Mix well.
STEP 3: Form the grated zucchini mixture into small patties. You should be able to make about 9-10 fritters.
STEP 4: Preheat the air fryer to 350 degrees F for 2-5 minutes (depending on your brand of air fryer).
STEP 5: Add foil or parchment paper to the bottom of the air fryer basket (optional – it does make cleaning a little easier). Place zucchini fritters into the preheated air fryer in a single layer. Leave a little room around each fritter so the hot air can circulate all the way around each one.
STEP 6: Brush or spray with olive oil and set the cook time for 10 minutes.
STEP 7: Flip them over with your spatula, add another light coating of olive oil spray and cook them for an additional 5 minutes or until golden brown.
STEP 7: Serve them while still hot with (or without) your favorite dipping sauce.
Variations and Substitutions
Here are a few variations you can make to air fryer zucchini fritters:
- You can garnishes such as Parmesan cheese, cheddar cheese, green onions, or fresh chives.
- Try some different flavor combinations with your favorite herbs such as black pepper or fresh herbs instead of powdered spices.
- Leave out the chili flakes if you want a less spicy dish.
- Make sure you wait until the air fryer is preheated to put the fritters in.
- To save on clean-up, line your air fryer basket with aluminum foil or parchment paper before cooking.
- You also want to make sure there isn’t too much moisture. Getting rid of the excess water in the zucchini before adding the other ingredients will keep you from having soggy fritters.
- Another thing to watch for is to make sure there is some space between the fritters and that they’re in a single layer. You may need to make them in more than one batch depending on the size of your air fryer.
- Serve them alongside your favorite dipping sauce. I love a creamy dip like ranch dressing, tzatziki sauce, spiced-up greek yogurt, or sour cream.
Can I Make Air Fryer Zucchini Fritters Gluten Free?
Yes. Simply, trade out the all-purpose flour for a gluten-free option such as gluten-free flour, almond flour or chickpea flour.
How to Store Leftovers
Leftover air fryer zucchini fritters can be stored in an airtight container or ziploc bag. Be sure to let them cool down before placing them in any container.
Fritters will keep in the fridge for 3-5 days or can be frozen for about 2 months.
How to Reheat Zucchini Fritters
To reheat, it’s best if you put them back into the air fryer for a few minutes to get the best crispiness. You can also re-heat them with a little non-stick spray in a skillet or place them on a baking sheet and re-heat in the oven, but they won’t crisp up quite as much. I would not reheat them in the microwave, this will just make them soggy.
If you have frozen your leftovers, let the zucchini fritters thaw before re-heating in the air fryer.
Air Fryer Zucchini Fritters are an easy and delicious way to enjoy a healthy snack while still feeling satisfied. With a few simple ingredients and some time in the air fryer, you can have zucchini fritters ready to go in no time!
- 2 Zucchinis, medium size
- 1 Egg
- 1/3 cup All-purpose Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt (can be omitted if sensitive to salty flavor)
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon Chili Flakes
- 1 teaspoon Onion Powder
- ½ teaspoon Baking Powder
- ½ teaspoon Garlic Powder
- Shred the zucchini against the large holes of a box grater. You can also use a food processor. Once shredded, use cheese cloth or clean dish towel to remove excess moisture. The dryer, the better.
- Combine the shredded zucchini with all of the other ingredients in a medium bowl and mix well.
- Form the grated zucchini mixture into small patties. You should be able to make about 9-10 fritters.
- Preheat the air fryer to 350 degrees F for 2-5 minutes (depending on your brand of air fryer).
- Add foil or parchment paper to the bottom of the air fryer basket (optional). Spray with non-stick cooking spray and place zucchini fritters in a single layer.
- Brush or spray with olive oil or non-stick cooking oil on the top and set the cook time for 10 minutes.
- Flip them over with your spatula, add another light coating of olive oil spray and cook for an additional 5 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve while hot with (or without) your favorite dipping sauce.
See recipe post for extra tips and variations.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 30Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 19mgSodium: 245mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 2g
Nutritional values are estimates and not exact.