The Trop Rockin’ Gals have been to 27 Meeting of the Minds Parrot Head Conventions. There are over 150 gigs and events happening during the week of MOTM / Trop Rock Music Week. We wish we could see them all (and we try to see as much as we can!). Every year each of us have our favorite event we try to never miss. Here they are (in no particular order):
Cindy Muir brings you tropical travel and a ton of Trop Rock musician interview articles since Trop Rockin’ Magazine began in 2012! Here are Cindy’s top 5 must see events:
- Kelly McGuire’s Lighthouse Court Songwriter Showcase: Don’t know that much about all the many Trop Rock artists out there? Visit Kelly McGuire’s five day rotating concert at The Lighthouse Court on White Street. Kelly provides the musical backdrop, but a bevy of musicians come in and out…. they sing 2-3 songs with great impromptu accompaniment. A great way to listen for super new music. Wednesday-Saturday 2p-5p and Sunday 12:00p-3:00p.
- The ZONTA 5K: We acknowledge that not many Parrot Heads are willing to get up and walk or run a race on Saturday morning. The Zonta 5K is for a great cause (helping fund underprivileged women’s health care in the Keys), it doesn’t start til 8 am and Jerry Diaz is serenading the finishers at the end! Saturday at 8am.
- Musical Sunset Cruise – This is a great way to hear more Trop Rock up close and personal on a catamaran or sailboat. Most trips come with alcohol and snacks included, plus non-stop music from musicians such as Jerry Diaz, Latitude, Thom Shepherd, Brent Burns, The Conch Fritters and many more.
- Free Drink at Margaritaville: Most tend to wait until the Friday afternoon Street Party, but anyone wearing a MOTM credential badge can get a free rum punch at the Margaritaville bar on Duval. You ask for your free drink, they punch your badge and hand you a tasty rum punch. Not a bad deal! Next, go next door and see if you get a MOTM discount at the Key West Margaritaville store, just show them your badge.
- No Plane On Sunday Party at the Schooner Wharf Bar: If you are planning on or returning home until Monday, don’t miss the No Plane on Sunday party at The Schooner Wharf Bar. Jim Morris and his Big Bamboo Band entertains all evening at this last chance to party in Key West. Sunday 7p-Midnight.
Millie Marie Taylor is the co-host at the popular radio show Shore-to-Shore News on The Shore Radio as well as a longtime contributor to Trop Rockin’ Magazine. Here are Millie’s must see events during the week:
- Conch Fritters at Willie T’s: A must see for their enthusiastic costume changes and crowd pleasing tropical sounds. Wed-Sun Noon-4p at Willie T’s.
- Koz’s Green World Gallery: The personal and intimate experience of seeing an artist bring to life their CD while surrounded by whimsical artwork and the best hosts, Koz & Pam. Tuesday-Saturday various artists typically 10:30a-3:30p except on Friday, ending early at 12:30p.
- Rob Mehl at the Smokin’ Tuna Saloon: I always spend an afternoon with Rob and enjoy his Artists friends sharing stage with him. Take a moment to sit back and relax, feel like you’re on an island and let it all go with Rob’s laid back style. M-Sat. 1p-5p at Smokin’ Tuna.
- Margaritaville Street Fest: The locals and parrot heads come out for an afternoon of Trop Rock. This year, two of the best bands around are rockin’ the stage: Don Middlebrook & The Pearl Divers and then the Young Rebel Goombas! You can dance in the street and have your cheeseburger in paradise right there front the Margaritville stand. No reservations required. Friday 1p-5:30p, corner of Duval and Fleming Streets.
- John Friday at the Rum Barrel: Get off the street and up on the roof top in-between the wharf and Duval with a big dose of John Friday. All the ladies will be up dancing to “Worst Pirate” and Jersey John will be blowin’ that harmonica. Wed. & Fri. 6p-10p.
Tammy Camp is on her 16th annual MOTM, owner of Trop Rockin’ Magazine, writing articles every week for Trop Rock Music Fans. Here are Tammy’s must see events during MOTM / Trop Rock Music week:
- Mac McAnally at the Casa Marina: He’s headlined MOTM a number of times and his concert is always a must see event. Seven time CMA Musician of the Year, his talents are many! Thursday 8pm.
- “Tuesday on the Island” Party: Of course we never miss the Trop Rockin’ Magazine party! Live music from Dave McKenney, Jimi Pappas and Don Middlebrook plus free Trop Rockin’ Magazine swag and the chance to hang out with all our Parrot Head friends! Tuesday 4:30p-7:30p.
- Jerry Diaz Late Night Jam at the Casa Marina: This is one of the most lively parties every year at the Casa. Jerry Diaz hosts a number of Trop Rock artists on the beach stage. It’s especailly fun when several jump up and jam together. Friday 11:30p-1:30a.
- Sunny Jim’s Songwriter Showcase at the Blue Heaven: A beautiful setting and always great Trop Rock stories and songs. I know it’s hard to get a seat at this event, but it’s still one of the coolest events each year. Chickens and Roosters running around your feet, strong Bloody Mary’s and 4 hours of awesome singer/songwriters. Sunday 2p-6p.
- Trop Rock at the Conch Republic: I couldn’t pick just one gig. Some of the best days I’ve ever spent in Key West have been sitting at the Conch Republic listening to The Calypso Nuts (Almost all week starting on Monday and typically 1p-5p), Sunny Jim (Tuesday 6p-10p) and Don Middlebrook (Mon. 6p-10p and on Sat. with his band 6p-10p). Love the fun atmosphere, great music, good food along with the backdrop of the harbor.
Click here to view all the details of these events and so many more on the ENTIRE Trop Rock Music Schedule for Nov. 1st – Nov. 8th.