Halloween Cake Mix Cookies are soft, delicious and not too spooky! Festive and easy cookies recipe, thanks to a box of cake mix. These chewy cookies are a lot like eating cake, yet in the form of a cookie sandwich with neon green frosting.
Sweet and colorful cookies, perfect for getting into the Halloween spirit, plus fun for the whole family.
These Halloween cookies made from cake mix are my new favorite sandwich cookies to make for this year’s spooky season, drawing inspiration from my sandwich style Halloween Chocolate Chip Cookies recipe.
If you’re interested in really easy Halloween cookies, these Spider Oreo Cookies are adorable (coming this week!), convenient and great for making with kids.
More Halloween Cookie Recipes
Kitchen Tools Needed
- 2 Baking Sheets
- Mixing Bowl
- Ice Cream Scoop
Ingredients for Halloween Cake Mix Cookies
These delicious cake mix cookies only need 4 ingredients:
Box Cake Mix: use your favorite brand of Vanilla cake mix (or white cake mix).
Large eggs: make sure the eggs are at room temperature before using to make the cookies fluffier.
Canola Oil: healthier and best oil to use for baking.
Halloween Sprinkles: I used a white, orange and yellow sprinkles mix. I would probably not use Halloween Sprinkles that include black. I also picked up cute ghost shaped sprinkles to add on top.
Ingredients for Vanilla Frosting
Unsalted sweet cream butter: also best at room temperature. Let your butter sit out for at least 30 minutes before using.
Powdered sugar: powdered sugar is a must for a smooth frosting.
Pure vanilla extract: make sure the label says “pure” as it tastes much better than imitation vanilla.
Heavy whipping cream: really makes frosting creamy.
Neon Green Gel Food Coloring: adds to the Halloween fun!
Large piping bag with star tip: creates a pretty frosting for the edges in these stuffed cake mix cookies.
No time to make Halloween cookies right now? Save it for later and pin it to your Pinterest board.
How to Make Cake Mix Cookies
Step 1: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line two baking sheets with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
Step 2: In a large bowl, add cake mix, eggs, and oil and beat until combined and smooth.
Step 3: Add Halloween Sprinkles to the cake batter in the mixing bowl and mix in the sprinkles by hand with a spatula.
Step 4: Use an ice cream scooper to scoop out the cake mix dough onto the cookie sheets.
Step 5: Add extra sprinkles on top of the cake mix cookie dough.
Step 6: Bake in the oven for 10 minutes. Keep watch as your timer gets close to 10 minutes since ovens vary and yours may need plus or minus 1-2 minutes of bake time.
Step 7: Remove from the oven and place on a wire rack / cooling rack to allow cookies to cool completely.
Vanilla Frosting Directions
Step 1: Using an electric mixer, beat the butter, powdered sugar, vanilla and heavy whipping cream until well combined and smooth. You’ll also know it’s complete when the frosting “stands up” or creates stiff peaks when raising the beaters.
Step 2: Add neon food coloring to make it a Halloween theme. Mix in about 3-4 drops of the neon green gel food coloring.
Step 3: Scoop the frosting into the piping bag.
Step 4: Match two cookies together that are closely the same size.
Step 5: Pipe a ring of frosting onto the bottom cookie and then lightly fill in the ring.
Step 6: Place the matching sized cookie on top to create the cookie sandwich.
Step 7: Add extra sprinkles such as the ghost shaped sprinkles (optional).
How To Store Halloween Cake Mix Cookies
These Halloween cake mix cookies can be stored for 3-4 days in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Be careful not to smush them down in the container or you’ll have a frosting mess.
While most kinds of cookies can also be stored at room temperature, these Halloween cookies should be in the refrigerator since they include a cream-based frosting which could spoil if left out.
Can I Freeze Halloween Cookies Made From Cake Mix?
I wouldn’t freeze these cookies for later. Fully assembled with frosting, these baked cake mix cookies should be stored in the refrigerator.
Variations Can I Make To These Halloween Cake Mix Cookies?
Get creative! Halloween cake mix cookies are easy to adapt. Make them in a variety of holiday themes or flavors. Here are a few ideas:
Change up the cookie dough or color theme:
- White Chocolate Chips or Peanut butter chips;
- M&M’s, Reese’s Pieces or other favorite candy pieces (chopped candy bars);
- Different colored sprinkles or use candy eyes to make Halloween monster cookies;
- Different colored frostings: while I’ve colored my cookie frosting with green gel coloring, feel free to use a different color or an assortment for a festive batch of Halloween sandwich cookies!
You could also opt to use a different flavor of cake mix for these cookies.
The options here are endless, some of which that come to mind include:
- Chocolate cake mix;
- Pumpkin Spice cake mix;
- Yellow cake mix;
- Red velvet cake mix;
- Lemon cake mix; or
- Funfetti cake mix!
Make sure to match the sprinkles, any added candies and any food coloring to compliment your favorite cake mix flavor.
Tips For Making Halloween Cake Mix Cookies
- Most cake cookie recipes use an 18-ounce cake mix box which you should be able to source easily in store or online. In case you can only find a 15-ounce cake mix, simply add about ¼ cup of all-purpose flour or cake flour to the dry ingredients.
- Canola oil is best, but you can use Vegetable oil in this recipe.
- Using a piping bag helps when it comes to frosting your cookie halves. If you don’t have a piping bag, an easy alternative is to use a Ziploc bag. Cut a hole at one corner of the Ziploc bag, and proceed to frost your cookies as you would with a piping bag.
- I used a medium ice cream scoop for these cookies when adding them to the baking tray since the recipe makes generous sized cookies. It’s the equivalent of a large cookie scoop.
Halloween Cake Mix cookies will be a huge hit at your Halloween party!
Cake Mix Cookies
- 1 box Vanilla cake mix
- 2 Large eggs
- 1/2 cup Canola Oil
- 2 cups of Halloween Sprinkles
Neon Green Frosting
- 1 cup Unsalted sweet cream butter, softened
- 2 cups Powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons Pure vanilla extract
- 5 tablespoons Heavy whipping cream
- 3-4 drops Neon Green Gel Food Coloring
Cake Mix Cookies
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together the cake mix, eggs, and oil until combined and smooth .
- Stir in Halloween sprinkles.
- Scoop the dough out with a medium ice cream scoop onto the cookie sheets.
- Bake in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Remove and place on a cooling rack.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the butter, powdered sugar, vanilla and heavy whipping cream until well combined and smooth
- Add in 3-4 drops of the neon green gel food coloring and beat until completely mixed.
- Scoop the frosting into a piping bag with star tip.
- Match two cookies together that are closely the same size.
- Add a ring of frosting onto the bottom cookie.
- Place the matching sized cookie on top to create the cookie sandwich.
See the article for tips and variations.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 320Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 39mgSodium: 227mgCarbohydrates: 37gFiber: 0gSugar: 26gProtein: 2g
Nutritional values are estimates and not exact.