Halloween is a time for fun, and what could be more fun than Halloween Sprinkle Cookies? These festive treats are perfect for Halloween parties, and they’re sure to be a hit with kids and adults alike. The cookies are made with a rich chocolate flavor, and they’re decorated with a fun purple, green and orange Halloween theme.
Best of all, they are absolutely delicious. Soft, chewy and fluffy! So if you’re looking for a fun and tasty treat to enjoy this Halloween, be sure to make these Halloween Sprinkle Cookies. You won’t be disappointed!
Halloween Sprinkle Cookies are so easy and always fun!
Whip up a batch of these fresh cookies for any upcoming Halloween parties, movie viewing gatherings, or just because you need a new cookie recipe to try out and want to add to your other amazing Halloween recipes!
If you’re busy planning a fun Halloween party, serve up a variety of Halloween cookies along with these yummy Hocus Pocus Sugar Cookies or a pitcher of Orange Halloween Punch Cocktails to wash these delicious cookies down with!
Why You’ll Love these Halloween Sprinkle Cookies
Thee are so many reasons to love this chocolate Halloween sprinkle cookie recipe.
- In less than an hour, you’ll have 16 delicious decorated milk chocolate Halloween cookies made from scratch.
- These cookies will be a hit with both kids and adults alike.
- The chocolate flavor is rich and satisfying, while the sprinkles add just the right amount of sweetness.
- These Halloween Sprinkle Cookies are thick and chewy delicious!
More Cookies for Halloween to Love
These large and chewy Halloween Sprinkle Cookies will pair nicely with a few more cookies to make a fun dessert table at your Halloween party.
Kitchen Tools Needed for this Recipe
- Baking Sheets / Cookie Sheets
- Large Bowls
- Measuring Cup
- Plastic Wrap
- Parchment paper / Silicone Baking Mats
This easy Halloween cookie recipe needs a fair amount of ingredients, but don’t let that deter you. They are quite easy to make!
UNSALTED BUTTER: You’ll need cold butter that has been cut into cubes, making it easier to work with. Do not soften the butter.
WHITE SUGAR: They wouldn’t be chocolate sugar cookies without granulated sugar.
BROWN SUGAR: The perfect sweetener to pair with the rest of the ingredients.
EGGS: We used 2 large eggs and I suggest letting them get to room temperature before using. You can go ahead and crack them in a bowl and let them sit out while gathering all your kitchen tools and ingredients.
DARK COCOA: Cocoa powder is what makes this chocolate cookie recipe such a great recipe.
VANILLA EXTRACT: Bringing just a little sweetness to help prevent the dark chocolate from taking over and becoming too overbearing.
CORNSTARCH: Baking with cornstarch gets the proper texture of these cookies. It makes the dough a softer, more delicate texture. When combined with flour, it can also helps create a light and fluffy cookie.
BAKING SODA: Ads a softer texture and helps the cookies brown evenly.
SALT: Just a little pinch adds a little more flavor. If you’re on a low salt diet, feel free to omit the salt.
ALL-PURPOSE FLOUR: The base that makes sugar cookies have a light, fluffy texture. You can also use cake flour to make these cookies
CHOCOLATE CHIPS: I’m using semi sweet milk chocolate chips. You can use dark chocolate chips if you prefer for your chocolate Halloween cookies.
HALLOWEEN SPRINKLES: These can be found at just about any grocery store in the baking aisle around the fall baking season. I’m using these colorful sprinkles to decorate these Halloween sprinkle cookies.
CANDY EYES: Using candy eyes is one of the fun ways to decorate these chocolate Halloween cookies, you can always trade these out for other fun decorations. The eyes give these sprinkle cookies a monster style.
How to Make Halloween Sprinkle Cookies
Here’s my step-by-step recipe process:
STEP 1: In a large mixing bowl add the butter, white sugar and brown sugar. Using a stand mixer, mix on high until they’re fully combined and light and fluffy in texture.
STEP 2: Add the eggs into the mixture (one at a time) to the sugar mixture and mix until well combined.
STEP 3: Add in the vanilla extract and continue to mix together.
STEP 4: In a separate large mixing bowl add flour, cocoa powder, flour, cornstarch, baking soda, and salt and whisk to combine the dry ingredients.
STEP 5: Slow the mixer to medium speed. Add flour mixture into the butter and sugar mix, 1 cup at a time so it’s easier to mix together. Mix until flour is fully combined with the wet ingredients.
STEP 6: Remove the mixing bowl from the mixer. Add in the chocolate chips and 1 cup of Halloween sprinkles. Use your hands or wooden spoon to fold them into the dough.
STEP 7: Cover the dough in the mixing bowl with plastic wrap and chill for 30 minutes. This is an important step, don’t skip chilling these Halloween Sprinkle Cookies.
STEP 8: When just about ready to bake, preheat oven to 420 degrees F and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or use silicone baking mats. This really helps keep the cookies from sticking.
STEP 9: Using an ice cream scoop, scoop out the sugar cookie dough and create cookie dough balls, placing them on the parchment-lined baking sheet. Repeat until all the cookie dough has been used. Set the baking sheets to the side.
STEP 10: In a small bowl add the sprinkles. Roll each of the cookie dough balls in the sprinkles and slightly flatten them before putting them back on the baking sheet 1-2 inches apart.
STEP 11: Add the candy eyes randomly and press them in lightly to secure them to the cookie dough.
STEP 12: Bake cookies, 1 pan at a time, for 13-14 minutes. Serve up these Halloween Chocolate Cookies warm and enjoy!
Helpful Tips and Variations
- I use a stand mixer to make the cookie dough, but you can use an electric mixer and wooden spoon to mix everything if desired.
- You can also add any chopped up Halloween candy, candy corn or reese’s pieces to the cookies to create unique cookies that still deliver delicious flavors with every bite.
- Try adding white chocolate chips for a slightly different Halloween treat.
- For even softer cookies, remove from the oven 1-2 minutes early and let them continue to cook while on the hot cookie sheets. Then place on a cooling rack to cool completely.
The best way to store Halloween chocolate cookies is in a plastic bag or airtight container on the counter at room temperature.
You can even freeze these sweet treats for later by using a freezer safe container for up to 3 months.
These cookies are easy to transport to any Halloween parties you’re attending and everyone will love these sweet surprise treats. From kids to grown ups, these chocolate Halloween cookies will be a hit.
So, hurry, grab these simple ingredients and make a batch of these Halloween Sprinkle Cookies for any fall festivities you have planned!
- 1 1⁄2 cup COLD unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temp
- 3⁄4 cup dark cocoa
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups cake flour
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chocolate chips
- 2 cups Halloween sprinkles , divided
- 1⁄2 cup candy eyes
- In a large mixing bowl add the butter, white sugar and brown sugar. Using a stand mixer, mix on high until they're fully combined and light and fluffy in texture.
- Add the eggs into the mixture (one at a time) to the sugar mixture and mix until well combined.
- Add in the vanilla extract and continue to mix together.
- In a separate large mixing bowl add flour, cocoa powder, flour, cornstarch, baking soda, and salt and whisk to combine the dry ingredients.
- Slow the mixer to medium speed. Add flour mixture into the butter and sugar mix, 1 cup at a time so it's easier to mix together. Mix until flour is fully combined with the wet ingredients.
- Remove the mixing bowl from the mixer. Add in the chocolate chips and 1 cup of Halloween sprinkles and use your hands or wooden spoon to fold them into the dough.
- Cover the dough in the mixing bowl with plastic wrap and chill for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 420 degrees F and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
- Using an ice cream scoop, scoop out the sugar cookie dough and create cookie dough balls, placing them on the parchment-lined baking sheet. Repeat until all the cookie dough has been used. Set the baking sheets to the side.
- In a small bowl add 1 cup of sprinkles. Roll each of the cookie dough balls in the sprinkles and slightly flatten them before putting them back on the baking sheet 1-2 inches apart.
- Add the candy eyes randomly and press them in lightly to secure them to the cookie dough.
- Bake cookies, 1 pan at a time, for 13-14 minutes.
See recipe post for tips and variations.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 305Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 49mgSodium: 188mgCarbohydrates: 63gFiber: 3gSugar: 46gProtein: 4g
Nutritional values are estimates and not exact.