Instant Pot Chicken Gnocchi Soup is a rich, creamy soup packed with plump and fluffy potato gnocchi, juicy bites of tender chicken, shredded carrots, diced onion, and all the delicious herbs and spices you can imagine.
Making this Olive Garden Chicken Gnocchi Soup copycat recipe in the Instant Pot shaves off so much cook time and stress that you’ll be wanting to whip out that Pressure Cooker to make this soup every week!
Why You’ll Love Instant Pot Chicken Gnocchi Soup
This is an Olive Garden favorite soup! We’re using an Instant Pot to cook it under high pressure so you can have dinner ready way quicker than using a slow cooker!
- The best part about this comforting meal is, it lets you have an easy dinner on the table in 45 minutes and it will be a family favorite!
- This creamy, juicy chicken gnocchi soup is just as good, if not BETTER than your favorite soup at the restaurant.
- With this great recipe, you know exactly what ingredients are being used and you can substitute or swap out ingredients if desired.
- This copycat soup uses affordable ingredients and can be served as a main dish or as an appetizer.
- You can always serve creamy chicken gnocchi soup alongside a salad for a filling soup and salad combo.
Instant Pot Soup recipes are a great way to provide belly-filling, warm and nutritious meals for your whole family. Instant Pot Chicken Fajita Soup and Broccoli Cheddar Instant Pot Soup are two of our favorite delicious soups to enjoy.
You can double the recipe from any of these soups and have leftovers for the next day!
No time to make it right now? Save it to Pinterest for later.
More Instant Pot Recipes
What are Gnocchi?
If you don’t already love gnocchi, you certainly will after this. Fresh gnocchi are small potato dumplings that you can buy at the store or make yourself.
Treat Gnocchi much like you would a pasta. You can serve gnocchi by themselves, in a bowl of soup or with a sauce for dipping or smothered in it.
Instant Pot Chicken Gnocchi Soup Ingredients
CHICKEN BREASTS: 1 pound of skinless chicken breasts is what this recipe calls for. In a pinch, you can also use skinless chicken thighs. If you want to skip cooking chicken altogether, use a rotisserie chicken.
BUTTER: Use this for sauteing onions and garlic in the bottom of the pot. You could swap it for olive oil but using butter helps add an extra touch of creamy flavor.
ONION: I used half of a white onion but if you don’t mind a slight flavor change, you could use red onion or sweet onion.
GARLIC: One tablespoon of freshly minced will really blow this soup out of the water.
SPICES: Garlic Powder which is always a popular seasoning in Italian recipes, a half teaspoon of dried thyme, salt & black pepper to taste (freshly cracked pepper really brings a delicious flavor to this dish)
WHOLE MILK: This is what brings the creaminess to the soup. You can also use heavy cream and chicken broth.
CORNSTARCH: Mix this with the milk to create a cornstarch slurry.
CARROTS: Coarsely shredded carrots add a nice slight crunch to the soup. Shred your own or buy pre-shredded at the grocery store.
POTATO GNOCCHI: You’ll need 1 pound. You can find them in the refrigerated section of your grocery store or you can make your own.
BABY SPINACH: I add 2 cups, but you could easily add more or less as it wilts down a bit when cooking at the end.
How To Make Instant Pot Chicken Gnocchi Soup
Gather up your ingredients to learn how to make this hearty soup recipe.
STEP 1: Meal prep: Chop 1/2 a white onion. Mince garlic for a tablespoon full. Shred 2 fresh carrots.
STEP 2: Turn on the Instant Pot sauté setting and add your butter to melt it. Add in your onions once the butter has melted and sauté for 3-5 minutes or until they’re translucent.
STEP 3: Next, add in minced garlic and sauté for 1 minute to release flavor. Watch closely, this can burn quickly. Press the cancel button.
STEP 4: Add in thyme, broth, salt and pepper, and the chicken breasts.
STEP 5: Put the lid on and turn the valve to the sealing position. Pressure cook on high for 10 minutes. Once the timer goes off, perform a quick pressure release by opening the valve to release the pressure. Be careful not to get burned when doing a quick release. The intense hot steam should be released away from your face and body.
STEP 6: Remove the cooked chicken from the instant pot and shred it with 2 forks. Return the shredded chicken back to the pot and turn the saute mode back on.
STEP 7: In a small bowl, mix the milk and corn starch together to create a slurry (semi-liquid mixture).
STEP 8: Slowly add the slurry to your soup and continue to stir it until combined.
STEP 9: Then add in the carrots and gnocchi. Allow them to cook for 5 minutes or until done.
STEP 10: Toss in the fresh spinach and allow it to cook and wilt into the soup for about a minute.
Serve and enjoy the best chicken gnocchi soup!
How To Store Gnocchi and Chicken Soup
Any soup leftovers should be stored in an airtight container in the fridge. It should keep for 4-5 days. You can also freeze this in an airtight container or in a freezer-safe bag laying flat in the freezer.
Make a double batch or two to store in the freezer for later.
How To Reheat Soup
For best results, I suggest reheating this soup on the stove top on a medium to low setting.
If reheating frozen soup, remove your soup from the freezer and let thaw in the fridge overnight before reheating.
Instant Pot Chicken Gnocchi Soup is so simple to make and is a meal that the entire family will fall in love with. It’s an easy meal prep recipe made with budget friendly pantry staple ingredients!
- 1 tablespoon Butter
- 1/2 White Onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon Garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon Garlic Powder
- ½ teaspoon Dried Thyme
- Salt and Cracked Black Pepper to taste
- 4 cups Chicken Broth
- 1 pound Chicken Breast (approximately 2 breasts)
- 1 ½ cups Milk
- 2 teaspoons Cornstarch
- 2 large Carrots, coarsely shredded
- 1 (16-oz) package Potato Gnocchi, uncooked
- 2 cups fresh Baby Spinach
- Meal prep: Chop 1/2 a white onion. Mince garlic. Shred carrots.
- Turn on the Instant Pot sauté setting and add your butter to melt it. Add in onions and sauté for 3-5 minutes or until they're translucent.
- Add in minced garlic and sauté for 1 minute. Press the cancel button.
- Add in broth, thyme, salt and pepper, and the chicken breasts.
- Put the lid on the instant pot and turn the valve to the sealing position. Pressure cook on high for 10 minutes. Once the timer goes off, perform a quick pressure release by opening the valve to release the pressure. Be careful not to get burned. The intense hot steam should be released away from your face and body.
- Remove the cooked chicken from the instant pot and shred it with 2 forks. Return the shredded chicken back to the pot and turn the saute mode back on.
- In a small bowl, mix the milk and corn starch to create a slurry (semi-liquid mixture).
- Slowly add the slurry into the pot and stir until combined.
- Add carrots and gnocchi. Allow to cook for 5 minutes or until done.
- Add fresh spinach and allow it to cook into the soup for approximately one minute.
See recipe post for variations, substitutions and tips.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 243Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 84mgSodium: 833mgCarbohydrates: 16gFiber: 1gSugar: 5gProtein: 29g
Nutritional values are estimates and not exact.