Instant Pot Shrimp Scampi is a vibrant seafood dish that has become overwhelmingly popular. It’s absolutely delish with a light shrimp scampi sauce, with hints of garlic, fresh lemon juice, and chopped onion that really help enhance the fantastic shrimp all while pilled on a beautiful bed of fettuccine pasta.
Why You’ll Love Instant Pot Shrimp Scampi
Shrimp Scampi is a popular pasta recipe at seafood restaurants and has also made its way to many Italian restaurants. Now with this easy Instant Pot recipe, you can make Instant Pot Shrimp Scampi Pasta for your whole family at home for much cheaper! You can really taste the hints of garlic and lemon after the sauté process is done.
It has such rich flavor from the homemade scampi sauce and will really fill your belly with the generous portion of pasta.
If you know me, you know how much I love making Instant Pot recipes for my family. Using an Instant Pot helps me provide my family with a quick dinner using simple ingredients in a couple of minutes without having to slave away over the stove.
What Is Scampi?
Great question friends! Classic Shrimp Scampi usually means a shrimp dish sauteed in a lemon, garlic, light sauce and often served over pasta, with crusty bread for dipping into the homemade scampi sauce or with a green salad and garlic bread.
Scampi has become so popular across America that many Italian restaurants and seafood joints have started also serving chicken scampi and other protein scampi options.
Instant Pot Shrimp Scampi Ingredients
BUTTER: Unsalted butter is perfect to use.
OLIVE OIL: You’ll be sauteeing your shrimp in a drizzle of olive oil- you can also use avocado oil or grapeseed oil.
GARLIC: Grab 3 cloves of garlic and mince them to really bring some nice aromatics and full on Italian flavor.
WHITE ONION: This is always a popular scampi ingredient as white onions are more pungent, flavorful and stronger than yellow onions. You mau also choose to use shallots instead.
WATER: You can also use white wine for a little extra oomph.
SHRIMP: I used a pound of frozen, peeled, and de-veined shrimp but you can also use fresh shrimp.
FETTUCCINE: This is a common kind of pasta to use when serving this delicious meal for dinner. You can also serve this over angel hair pasta or with a few cups of rice or any type of pasta
CHICKEN STOCK: As usual, this stock can be substituted for any other stock- vegetable or beef, you can even use chicken broth, beef broth, vegetable broth or a splash of white wine. Just keep in mind doing this may change the overall flavor of this pasta dish.
LEMON: You’ll be using the juice from a whole lemon cut up into lemon wedges.
SEA SALT AND BLACK PEPPER: Feel free to use kosher salt too
RED PEPPER FLAKES: This adds a bit of heat to the dish and really pairs nicely with the zesty fresh lemon flavor.
PARSLEY: Fresh parsley is perfect for any shrimp recipe.
Instant Pot Shrimp Scampi Recipe Instructions
STEP 1: Turn on the sauté mode on your Instant Pot.
STEP 2: Once it is hot, add the butter, olive oil, garlic, and white onion. Melt the butter and cook your onion until it’s soft and becomes translucent. Stir as the butter melts and onions cook, which should take about 3 minutes.
STEP 3: Next, add in your frozen shrimp (or fresh shrimp). Stir shrimp as it cooks allowing it to take on the flavors of the butter, .
STEP 4: Once your shrimp has cooked, remove the shrimp and set aside.
STEP 5: Now grab your chicken stock and add it to the pot along with your water, juice from the lemon, and noodles. Stir well to prevent the noodles from sticking together.
STEP 6: Place the lid on, close the seal, and set to cook on high pressure for 6 minutes.
STEP 7: Once your Instant Pot is done, use a hot pad or a towel to keep your hands safe from the hot steam and perform a quick release of pressure by turning the valve. Be careful the hot steam is not facing you.
STEP 8: Once the steam has completely released, carefully open your Instant Pot. Remove the lid facing away from you so not to get any left over hot steam in your face. Add the shrimp back in and mix it all together.
Before serving, you can add more flavors as toppings. Add any of the following:
- Squeeze of lemon juice
- Fresh parsley for a pop of color
- Grated Parmesan cheese
Tips To Avoid A Burn Notice
- When adding in the pasta, ensure that the noodles have enough liquid and are fully submerged in chicken stock and water before cooking them. Give them a little stir so they don’t stick together.
- Remove the shrimp before pressure cooking so they don’t stick to the bottom of the pot.
- Stir the onions as they cook and deglaze the pot with chicken stock or water to avoid a burn notice.
Can I Add Chicken To This Dish?
Yes of course! I suggest you cook the shrimp and chicken separately because the cooking time for chicken and shrimp will be different, and you want to make sure that they’re safe to consume before eating.
Since the sauteing step doesn’t take that long, start with your shrimp and then set aside while you prepare the chicken.
How To Store and Reheat Instant Pot Shrimp Scampi
Store the best shrimp scampi in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 4-5 days.
To reheat this dish, saute on the stove top evenly heat up the dish.
You can reheat shrimp scampi in the microwave, but it may cause the shrimp to become rubbery in texture and the scampi sauce may start to separate. Because of this, I recommend reheating on the stove top.
More Instant Pot Recipes To Love
This is the perfect comfort meal full of flavor, to have on the table in under a half hour for your family. No need to leave the house or pay a hefty check when you can make this delicious Instant Pot Shrimp Scampi for cheap at home.
- 1 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 2 tablespoons Butter
- 3 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup White Onion, diced
- 1/4 cup Water
- 1 lb. Fresh or Frozen Peeled shrimp, deveined
- 12 oz Fettuccine Noodles, broke in half
- 3 cups Chicken Stock
- 1/2 Fresh Lemon, squeezed
- 1 pinch Sea Salt and Pepper, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 tablespoon Fresh Parsley
- Turn on the sauté mode on your Instant Pot.
- Once heated, add butter, olive oil, garlic, and white onion. Melt the butter and cook your onion until it's soft and becomes translucent. Stir as the butter melts and onions cook, for approximtately 3 minutes.
- Add frozen shrimp (or fresh shrimp). Stir shrimp until cooked.
- Remove the shrimp and set aside.
- Add chicken stock, water, lemon juice and noodles into the instant pot. Stir well to prevent the noodles from sticking together.
- Place the lid on the instant pot, close the seal, and set to cook on high pressure for 6 minutes.
- Once your Instant Pot is done, use a hot pad or a towel to keep your hands safe from the hot steam and perform a quick release by turning the valve. Be careful the hot steam is not facing you.
- Once the steam has completely released, carefully open your Instant Pot. Add the shrimp back into the pot and mix it all together.
- Add optional garnishes.
See recipe posts for tips and serving ideas.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 368Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 260mgSodium: 1202mgCarbohydrates: 32gFiber: 2gSugar: 4gProtein: 35g
Nutritional values are estimates and not exact.