Irish Hot Chocolate is the perfect St. Patrick’s Day cocktail on a cold evening. Take hot chocolate to a whole new level by adding Irish whiskey and Irish cream. A warm and comforting drink, it’s the perfect way to celebrate the holiday.
Why You’ll Love Irish Hot Chocolate
Hot cocoa is the ultimate comfort food and there’s nothing quite like an Irish Hot Chocolate on chilly nights. This St. Patrick’s Day drink will warm you up from the inside out.
Adding a shot of whiskey and Irish cream makes this a delicious and boozy hot chocolate drink. This recipe is always a great way to enjoy the holiday season much like these Bailey’s Hot Chocolate Bombs.
But honestly, you don’t have to wait for a holiday to enjoy it. It’s such an easy way to relax during the cold winter days. Grab a good book, cozy up on the couch and enjoy this spiked hot chocolate.
If you’re planning a day full of St. Patrick’s Day cocktails, this recipe is also perfect as a steaming hot breakfast drink. Or save it for the evening and start the day by serving up these gorgeous St. Patrick’s Day Green Mimosas. I mean, who says happy hour has to start at 5pm?
I don’t want you to miss out on these Irish Lemonade recipes either. They’re perfect for happy hour.
Celebrate all day!
All you need are a few simple ingredients to make the best Irish Hot Chocolate.
MILK: Hot milk is a must to make this hot chocolate recipe creamy.
COCOA POWDER: Unsweetened cocoa powder. I used Hershey’s Cocoa which is 100% natural and unsweetened.
GRANULATED SUGAR: Since this recipe uses unsweetened cocoa, adding a few tablespoons of sugar will add a little sweetness to the hot chocolate mix.
SALT: A pinch of salt pulls out the chocolate flavor and balances the bitter and sweet ingredients.
DARK CHOCOLATE: A small amount of dark chocolate to add a richer chocolate flavor.
IRISH CREAM: Bailey’s Irish Cream liqueur is decadent and smooth and the most popular brand of Irish cream.
IRISH WHISKEY: Jameson Irish Whiskey is the best selling brand of Irish whiskey because it’s smooth and affordable.
WHIPPED CREAM: Adds even more creaminess as it dissolves in the warm cocktail. Plus, it looks gorgeous too.
SPRINKLES: Add these fun and festive St. Patrick’s day sprinkles to add to the holiday spirit.
Variations and Substitutions
- If you only have sweetened hot chocolate mix, reduce or eliminate the sugar.
- You can substitute milk chocolate for the dark chocolate for a milder and sweeter chocolate taste.
- If you don’t want to use milk, you can use hot water but it won’t be as creamy.
- If you need a lactose-free option, use lactose free whole milk or soy milk and top with non-dairy whipped cream.
- For an alternative to green sprinkles, top with chocolate shavings or chocolate sprinkles.
- Instead of whipped cream, top with mini marshmallows
STEP 1: Heat milk over medium heat in a medium saucepan until the milk is warm and steamy (not boiling).
STEP 2: Add cocoa powder, sugar, salt, and chopped chocolate.
STEP 3: Whisk or stir cocoa mix until all the ingredients are combined. The chocolate should be fully melted and incorporated into the mixture.
STEP 4: Remove from the heat.
STEP 5: Pour in Bailey’s Irish Cream, Jameson Irish Whiskey and stir.
STEP 6: Top with whipped cream and sprinkles.
More Spiked Hot Chocolate Recipes to Love
St. Patrick’s Day is a time to celebrate the Irish and why not do it with this deliciously warm and creamy Irish Hot Chocolate? With a shot of Irish cream and Irish whiskey mixed into a creamy mug of hot chocolate it’s sure to please.
- 2 cups Milk
- 3 tablespoons Cocoa Powder
- 3 tablespoons Granulated sugar
- A pinch of Salt
- 1 ounce Dark Chocolate (roughly chopped)
- 2 ounces Baileys Irish Cream
- 2 ounces Jameson Irish Whiskey
- Whipped Cream for topping
- Sprinkles for garnish
- Heat milk over medium heat in a medium saucepan until the milk is warm and steamy.
- Add cocoa powder, sugar, salt, and chopped chocolate.
- Whisk or stir cocoa mix until all the ingredients are combined. The chocolate should be fully melted and incorporated into the mixture.
- Remove from the heat.
- Pour in Bailey's Irish Cream, Jameson Irish Whiskey and stir.
- Pour into coffee cup and top with whipped cream and sprinkles.
See recipe post for varaitions and substitutions.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 392Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 23mgSodium: 188mgCarbohydrates: 57gFiber: 2gSugar: 50gProtein: 10g
Nutritional values are estimates and not exact.