Packing List & Tips for Key West MOTM Trop Rock Week
What to Pack:
- Cash for Food, Drinks, Mini Mart goodies and Trop Rock CDs.
- Beach wear: Hat, Sunglasses, Bathing Suit, Bathing Suit Cover Up.
- Comfortable shoes. Be prepared for a lot of walking. This is NOT the time to break in new shoes.
- Your TropRockin.com t-shirt and all your other favorite Trop Rock artist shirts.
- Drink tumbler to keep your beverage cold (Need one? We’ve got ’em https://www.troprockin.com/shop).
- Sunscreen (lotion or spray).
- Aloe or lotion for your sunburn.
- Hand sanitizer (a must).
- TropRockin.com coozie … Don’t have one? Come to our “Tuesday on the Island” party or find Tammy or Millie on the island —free while they last!
- Blanket or collapsible chair if you’re okay with hauling it around; I never have.
- Light weight jacket / sweatshirt. Yes… it happens. Sometimes it’s cool enough in the evenings that you’ll need it (especially on or near the water).
- TP… Late nights on Duval, it’s almost impossible to find, so ladies bring your own (purse size Kleenex or wet wipes).
- Know where to go. Bookmark our TropRockin.com Full MOTM / Trop Rock Schedule on your smart phone and access it anywhere!
- Flashing or glow jewelry – why not?
- Parrot Head tags if you want to show where you’ve been, where you’re from or how many times you’ve been to MOTM.
- Friday is Halloween. Bring your pirate costumes!
- If you have a bike, bring it, use it. There are rows and rows of bike racks. Want to rent a bike? Here are our suggestions: Best Way to Get Around Key West
- Backpack is a must if you plan on shopping or carrying your stuff around.
- Wine drinker? Don’t forget your cork screw.
- Camera, extra SD cards and extra batteries – Batteries and SD cards are tripled in price on the island!
- Cell phone and charger.
- Black Sharpe pen. Artist tend to lose their pens and you don’t want to miss that autograph opp.
- Collapsible 6pk cooler for the Beach, hanging out on the Casa Lawn, or Mallory Square Sunset.
- Personal Medical Kit – Alka Seltzer, Aspirin, Band-Aids, Neosporin and bottle of your favorite booze to chase that “Hair Of the Dog” feeling.
- Your MOTM confirmation email and ID for registration.
If you’re driving, Tips for your Trip Down the Florida Keys:
- Stop at the The Florida Keys Visitor Center, 106240 Overseas Highway, Key Largo, FL and pick up TONS of buy-1-get-1-FREE drink coupons from many of your favorite Key West bars and restaurants.
- Top off your gas tank in Homestead or Key Largo because gas prices go way up as you travel south.
- Food? So many great options in the Keys! Here’s a few we suggest:
- Breakfast: Harriette’s
- Lunch with a gorgeous view: Hog Heaven
- Happy Hour with a beautiful sunset: Sunset Grille
- Stop to stretch your legs on the Old 7 Mile Bridge
- Want to see the tiny Key Deer? Here’s how to find them: The Key to Finding Key Deer
Where to stop for Trop Rock Music parties on the way to Key West:
Key Largo: 8th Annual Pit Stop Party presented by Pirates on the Water
Monday, Oct. 27th and Tuesday, Oct. 28th
10am – 10pm both days
On the beach and spectacular sunset views in the evening!
Capt. Josh MCs the event with Trop Rock musicians stopping in to play over the two day event.
$10 Donation for food and drink with any excess going to The Reef Environmental Education Foundation.
Marathon: Dockside Tropical Cafe TropRocktober Fest
Tuesday, Oct. 28th
Eric Stone Band hosts open mic for Trop Rock musicians stopping in as they make their way to Key West.
Ramrod Key: Boondock’s Grill & Ale House Pit Stop Party, Too! presented by Southernmost Coconut Castaways
Monday, Oct. 27th and Tuesday, Oct. 28th
Monday 1p-10p and Tuesday 11a-10p
Steve Tolliver MCs as Trop Rock musicians come by to play just before Key West.
Tips for enjoying Key West, MOTM and Trop Rock festivities:
- Carry bottle water with you everywhere and stay hydrated.
- Parking: Be very careful of “residential only” parking spots.
- You want a seat at your favorite Trop Rock gig? Many venues are fairly small and do not have a lot of seating, get there 30 minutes early or more.
- You’ve just got to have front row at the Street Fest? Find your spot an hour or more early.
- Again, know where you want to go by using our Trop Rock Music schedule but enjoy the suprise stops and new artists you find too!
- Exchange phone numbers with friends and roommates so no one gets lost on island time. Seriously… it’s good for everyone’s safety to check-in with each other.
- Save a ton of money by eating during Happy Hours: Best Key West Happy Hours to Fill You Up
- Pick up the touristy papers and magazines for more coupons.
- At the Casa some days there are small “bar stations” around the property and last year the same drinks were cheaper at these stations than at the pool bar.
- For registered MOTM attendees, the free shuttles are a great benefit, be aware they often fill up at The Conch Republic and the Casa, making it hard to hop on in the middle of Simonton. Allot extra travel time.
- Mallory Square is famous for watching the sunset, but if you prefer a quieter atmosphere, then we suggest: Top Spots for a Key West Sunset
What did we miss? Tell us about it in the comment section below.