This gorgeous Purple Rain drink is a delicious and fun vodka cocktail. Made with sweet pineapple juice mixed with Blue Curacao and Grenadine which creates a stunning purple drink.
This delicious and fruity tropical drink is one cocktail you’ll enjoy all summer.
Why You’ll Love this Purple Rain Drink
Who doesn’t love purple cocktails? This tasty Purple Rain drink recipe will be the hit of your next party!
- The tropical drink flavors are perfect for summer parties.
- Easy to make with just 4 main ingredients.
- Perfect to make in a large batch or a large pitcher to easily serve at your next party.
- Great anytime you want a colorful and refreshing cocktail, but it’s also perfect as a fun Halloween party cocktail.
Try this summer cocktail the next time you want to impress your guests with a vibrant, colorful and delicious vodka cocktail.
How does this cocktail turn Purple?
Unusual, isn’t it?
First, the pineapple juice and Blue Curacao are the stars of this purple cocktail. Just like in this Blue Hawaiian drink, pineapple juice and blue curaçao are a winning combination. I’ve even made this combo into Blue Hawaiian Jello Shots!
Once we mix in the vodka and red grenadine you’ll get this gorgeous purple cocktail. The red and blue colors create the perfect purple hue.
What is Blue Curaçao?
To make the Purple Rain cocktail, you’ll need this very popular liqueur often used in tropical drinks because of it’s fruit flavor and beautiful blue hue.
Blue Curacao is a delicious orange liqueur that is slightly tart. It’s made from Laraha orange peels (a very tart fruit species) with added spices and alcohol for a distinct flavor.
Although curacao liqueur comes in a other colors (clear, red, orange), you definitely need the Blue Curacao liqueur to create this Purple Rain cocktail recipe.
More Blue Curacao Cocktail Recipes
What is Grenadine?
A very popular and beloved cocktail ingredient is Grenadine, a red non-alcoholic pomegranate syrup with a sweet tart flavor used in cocktails. It’s made from pomegranate juice, sugar and water.
When Blue Curacao and grenadine are mixed together, the two colors are what makes this Purple Rain cocktail so striking. The deep purple color is a fun novelty that tastes amazing.
Vodka: Use your favorite brand of vodka.
Blue Curaçao: Not only does Blue Curacao give this cocktail a gorgeous color, it adds a touch of citrus flavor.
Grenadine: Red Grenadine deepens the purple hue and adds to the sweet and tart flavors.
Pineapple Juice: A favorite sweet and refreshing fruit juice for a yummy fruity drink.
Corn Syrup: Use corn syrup or simple syrup for the rim of your cocktail glass. This makes the purple sugar stick to the rimmed glass.
Purple Sugar: This cocktail looks and tastes even better with a rimmed glass of colorful sugar.
Limes: Use a lime slice for a squeeze of fresh lime juice, adding a fresh and bright flavor. Plus, add a lime wheel to each glass for garnish.
Maraschino Cherries: Top off this purple drink with a bright red maraschino cherry for a pop of color.
Quick and easy, this Purple Rain cocktail only takes a few minutes to create and serve over ice.
Step 1: Pour a few tablespoons of corn syrup in a small saucer. In a separate saucer, add a few tablespoons of purple sugar.
Step 2: Dip the rim of a tall glass into syrup and then roll the rim of the glass in purple sugar.
Step 3: Fill the glass with ice cubes.
Step 4: Add 1 shot Blue Curacao.
Step 5: Pour in 1 shot of vodka.
Step 6: Pour in 1 tablespoon of Grenadine (about 1/2 ounce grenadine).
Step 7: Top off with 3 ounces of pineapple juice.
Step 8: Squeeze a lime wedge to add a little lime juice into the cocktail.
Step 9: Stir well. If the drink is not a gorgeous purple color, add a little more grenadine.
Step 10: Garnish with a lime wheel and Maraschino cherry.
Large Batch Directions
If you have an extra large cocktail shaker, you can mix up to 3 Purple Rain drinks at a time.
Make sure to setup your cocktail glasses first with the purple sugar rim.
Step 1: To make a large batch, double or triple all the drink ingredients into a cocktail shaker.
Step 2: Add ice.
Step 3: Then shake the cocktail shaker until the outside is frosty and chilled.
Step 4: Strain mix into your ice filled glasses and dress each cocktail with a lime wheel and cherry for garnish.
There are a number of variations you can make to this drink recipe.
- Change out the fruit juice to create a different variation of this Purple Rain drink recipe. Here are a few options to still get a pretty purple drink, but with different flavors:
- Premade lemonade or fresh lemon juice with sugar. Garnish with a lemon slice.
- Grapefruit juice
- Cranberry juice
- White Grape juice
- Replace 1.5 ounces pineapple juice with lemon lime soda if you enjoy a little fizz in your cocktail. Lemon lime soda always goes well with fruit juices.
- It can also be made with Gin or an orange vodka.
- If you’re using a cocktail shaker, shake over ice cubes and then strain the purple rain cocktail into a martini glass for a fancier look.
More Vodka Cocktails To Enjoy
No matter what the occasion, this refreshing Purple Rain drink is sure to delight!
- 1.5 oz Vodka
- 1.5 oz Blue Curacao
- .5 oz Grenadine
- 3 oz Pineapple Juice
- Squeeze of Lime Juice
- Corn Syrup (for rim)
- Purple Sugar (for rim)
- Lime Wheels for garnish.
- Cherries for garnish
- Pour a few tablespoons of corn syrup in a small saucer. In a separate saucer, add a few tablespoons of purple sugar.
- Dip the rim of a tall glass into corn syrup and then roll the rim of the glass in purple sugar.
- Fill the glass with ice cubes.
- Add 1 shot Blue Curacao.
- Pour in 1 shot of vodka.
- Pour in 1 tablespoon of Grenadine (about 1/2 ounce grenadine).
- Top off with 3 ounces of pineapple juice.
- Squeeze a lime wedge into the cocktail.
- Stir well. If the drink is not purple enough, add a little more grenadine.
- Garnish with a lime wheel and Maraschino cherry.
See post for tips and variations. Drink Responsibly.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 299Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 22mgCarbohydrates: 55gFiber: 2gSugar: 40gProtein: 1g
Nutritional values are estimates and not exact.