Air Fryer Chicken Fajitas with bell peppers, onions and fajita seasoning is an easy weeknight dinner packed with tons of flavor.
Whip these up for an easy meal when you don’t feel like firing up the grill, yet you’re craving delicious fajitas. These are exceptionally juicy for homemade fajitas and it’s all because of the magic of air frying!
These Chicken Fajitas are quick to prepare and easy to make at home in your air fryer. The fact that you can cook the chicken, peppers and onions all at once makes it a super quick meal when you’re short on time. Much like this yummy Instant Pot Chicken Fajita Soup, I’m a fan of one-pot meals because they are easy to make and there is less mess to clean up after dinner.
Air frying is the easy way to make chicken fajitas extra tender. The air fryer will infuse the seasoning while keeping the chicken melt-in-your-mouth juicy. A great option to create a quick and delicious chicken fajitas dinner for the whole family.
More Delicious Air Fryer Recipes
Lemon Pepper Air Fryer Wings are also one of our other favorite recipes and it uses a dry rub.
Ranch Seasoned Air Fryer Chicken Legs are another quick and easy recipe using ranch dressing packet for seasoning.
Corn Flake Chicken Tenders are perfect for chicken and waffles, these are air fried with a delicious crunchy outside.
Air Fried Buffalo Chicken Wings – zesty Buffalo wings for an easy game day appetizer.
Toasted Ravioli Appetizer is made with frozen ravioli and bread crumbs for an easy air fryer appetizer.
How to Serve Air Fryer Chicken Fajitas
Serve them with all your favorite fajita toppings in a tortilla or make a scrumptious chicken fajita salad bowl for a satisfying meal. Here’s a quick overview on how to serve up this recipe.
- In a Flour Tortilla: The traditional way to serve chicken fajitas is wrapped in a tortilla with a side of refried beans and Mexican rice. Warm flour tortillas are soft, doughy and my favorite.
- Corn Tortilla: If you’re looking for a healthier option, go for corn tortillas. Their distinctive corn flavor matches perfectly with fajita chicken. Corn tortillas do have a tendency to crack, making them harder to hold as a fajita wrap. Another option is to use a white corn tortilla which is softer and still has the great taste of a corn tortilla.
- Make a Salad Bowl: The low carb option! Fill a bowl with lettuce, add chicken fajitas, toppings of your choice and use this easy salsa recipe for the dressing. You can add beans and rice to your salad bowl for a more hearty meal (note the beans and rice would not be low carb).
Here are all the ingredients you need for this air fryer chicken fajitas recipe, plus several of my favorite toppings.
- Skinless Chicken Breasts (thinly sliced)
- Green Bell Pepper
- Red Bell Pepper
- Yellow Bell Pepper
- Onion (white, yellow or red onion per your preference)
- Vegetable Oil
- Tortillas (flour, corn or white corn tortillas)
- Lime (for lime juice)
- Dry Taco Seasoning or Fajita Seasoning packet
- Optional Toppings: Sour Cream, Salsa, Cilantro and Shredded Cheese
Side Dishes to Serve with Chicken Fajitas
Here in Texas most of our Tex-Mex dishes typically come with beans and Mexican rice. Here are a few additional ideas to serve with air fryer fajitas.
- Mexican Rice
- Re-friend Beans
- Charro Beans
- Avocado Salad
- Mexican Corn Salad
- Tortilla Chips with Salsa or Queso
Is this Recipe Low Carb and Keto Friendly?
Yes! The skinless chicken breast, bell peppers and olive oil are all low-carb ingredients. The Taco Seasoning or the Fajita Seasoning Packet will depend on the brand you choose, but they are typically low carb and low sugar making this a low carb and Keto friendly recipe.
The onions are higher in carbs, but are still allowed on a Keto diet in small quantities. In this recipe, a 1/2 onion is about half a cup which is only 3 carbs.
Watch your toppings if you want to keep this recipe low carb. Extra toppings such as sour cream or queso add extra carbs. Opt for making a salad bowl instead of using a tortilla.
Air fryer recipes are perfect for low carb and Keto friendly meals like these tasty air fryer garlic butter salmon bites.
How to Make Chicken Fajitas in the Air Fryer
Here are the easy step-by-step directions:
Step 1: Slice the chicken breasts into thin strips.
Step 2: Slice 1/2 an onion and 1/2 of each color of bell peppers into long strips. Remove any bell pepper seeds.
I enjoy the mix of peppers which have a variety of flavors. Green pepper is the mildest, yellow peppers have a little more flavor and red peppers are the deepest pepper flavor. If you’re only using one type of bell peppers, then slice up 1 1/2 bell peppers.
Step 3: Add the chicken, peppers and onions into a large mixing bowl.
Step 4: Preheat Air Fryer. Go ahead and preheat your air fryer to 390 degrees. This way, it can warm up for 2-3 minutes while the remaining ingredients are mixed.
Step 5: Add a packet of dry seasoning. Both Taco seasoning and Fajita seasoning mix are delicious in this recipe. It’s a personal preference and I’ll use whichever I have in the pantry. Of course, you can always make your own fajita seasoning recipe.
Step 6: Squeeze the juice of half a lime into the bowl.
Step 7: Next, pour the olive oil into the bowl over the chicken, veggies and seasoning. Mix everything together.
Make sure the seasoning is well distributed over all the slices of chicken and vegetables.
This total prep time is just a quick 10-15 minutes.
Step 8: Pour the seasoned mixture into your air fryer basket or onto the rack (depending on your model). Spread the mixture evenly.
Step 9: Air fry for 12-15 minutes.
Note: The range of cook time does depend on how thinly you slice the chicken strips, plus air fryer models have a slight variance in cook time.
As with all air fryer recipes, I suggest when it’s the first time you’re making a recipe, check the progress several minutes early. In the case of these chicken fajitas, open the air fryer after 12 minutes and if not fully cooked, add a few extra minutes. This will give you a better idea of the best cooking time for your air fryer.
Tip: If you are using a deep air fryer basket, stir the fajitas 1-2 times during the cooking process to make sure all of the ingredients get fully cooked.
Step 10: Serve on a warmed tortilla and add favorite toppings.
Serving Tip: Once the chicken is fully cooked, dish up and serve before this healthy weeknight meal cools down.
If you’re serving these air fryer chicken fajitas restaurant-style with the platter on the table, transfer the chicken fajitas into a warmed skillet. This will help insulate the meal while everyone builds their fajita. Of course, this does add another pot to wash up later!
If you’d like to print out this air fryer chicken fajita recipe, then scroll below for the printable recipe card.
Not Time to make Air Fryer Chicken Fajitas right now? Save it for later and Pin It:
Chicken Fajita Toppings
There are so many great toppings you can add to your chicken fajitas. Salsa, cilantro, shredded cheese and guacamole or my top choices!
- Sour Cream
- Salsa – try this deliciously easy and fresh homemade salsa recipe that takes only a few minutes to make!
- Shredded Cheese
- Avocado Slices
- Fresh Cilantro
- Sliced Jalapenos
- Salsa Verde
- Pico de Gallo
- Extra lime slices for a quick squeeze over the fajitas.
These air fryer chicken fajitas are easy to make and it’s all in one pot so it’s easy to clean up. Which makes this a surprisingly easy weeknight dinner. Enjoy this delectable air fryer chicken recipe!
- 1lb Skinless Chicken Breasts (thinly sliced)
- 1/2 Green Bell Pepper
- 1/2 Red Bell Pepper
- 1/2 Yellow Bell Pepper
- 1/2 Large Onion (white, yellow or red onion per your preference)
- 1/4 Cup Vegetable Oil
- 1/2 Lime (for lime juice)
- 1 packet of dry Taco Seasoning or Fajita Seasoning
- Tortillas (flour, corn or white corn tortillas)
- Optional Toppings: Sour Cream, Cilantro, Salsa, Shredded Cheese
- Slice the skinless chicken breasts into thin strips.
- Slice peppers and onions into strips.
- In a large mixing bowl, add chicken, peppers and onions.
- Preheat air fryer to 390 degrees.
- Add packet of fajita seasoning to bowl.
- Squeeze half of a lime into the bowl.
- Pour olive oil over the mixture. Stir well.
- Pour the chicken and vegetables mixture into the air fryer basket or rack.
- Air fry for 12-15 minutes or until chicken is fully cooked.
- Serve on tortillas with shredded cheese, salsa, cilantro and sour cream.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 218Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 48mgSodium: 281mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 20g
Nutritional values are estimates and not exact.