Here’s everything you need to know about how to make a White Russian. It’s an easy sipping drink made with Vodka, Coffee Liqueur and Cream. Here’s the classic vodka drink and if you like, you can spruce it up with an optional maple sugar rim that goes well with this coffee flavored cocktail. Enjoy this deliciously smooth cocktail served on the rocks.
The White Russian drink is deceptively not Russian! Who would have thought?
Turns out, this drink recipe was created in the 1940’s by a Belgium bartender in Brussels in honor of a U.S. Ambassador. So, why is it called a White Russian? The name is a nod to the main ingredient, vodka.
In the late 90’s, it was the cult classic film The Big Lebowski that skyrocketed the White Russian into popularity as it was heavily featured throughout the film. It’s still going strong today as a popular drink and there are all kinds of variations like this delicious Peanut Butter White Russian.
Feel free to have a little fun with it, like an added sugar rim (hint, hint).
So, What’s in a White Russian?
The White Russian ingredients are:
- Vodka – the main ingredient.
- Coffee Liqueur – sweetened coffee flavor combined with alcohol
- Cream – Heavy Cream or Half & Half for a smooth drink
What’s the Best Vodka for a White Russian?
Like any Vodka drink, chose the one you like the best. I tend to go for Absolut, Kettle One or even Sky in mixed drinks. Svedka is another good option, but I tend to like their flavored Vodkas best for fun drinks like these Peach Vodka Jello Shots.
Which Coffee Liqueur?
Kahlua is the most well known brand and it’s a great option. If you’re going shopping for a coffee liqueur, try the Cayman Reef Kona Coffee Liqueur – it’s little thicker and extra smooth.
Heavy Cream, Half and Half or Milk?
Heavy Cream really gives the White Russian depth (if that makes sense). Half and Half isn’t as thick, yet it still adds the creamy smoothness. People often ask if you can make a White Russian with milk. Milk is thin and doesn’t quite work in this drink recipe. The cocktail will loose texture and the creaminess it really needs.
How to Make a White Russian
A simple combination of Vodka, Coffee Liqueur and Cream is all you need.
In this spruced up recipe, we’re adding a maple syrup and brown sugar rim. These sweet flavors blend nicely with this drink and are completely optional. It all depends on how sweet you like your cocktails.
To add a sugar rim, grab two saucers. In one saucer add enough maple syrup to dip the rim of your glass. In the other saucer add a few teaspoons of brown sugar. Dip your glass in the maple syrup then roll the edge in the brown sugar.
Combine the following:
- 2 oz of Vodka
- 1 oz of Coffee Liqueur
- 1 oz Cream
- Fill glass with ice
If you’d like to print this White Russian recipe, scroll down below for a printable recipe card.
Save it for later and Pin It
You also like these creamy Vodka drinks:
- Dirty Banana: Vodka, Kahlua, Cream, ripe banana and a few more delish ingredients for the perfect adult milkshake.
- Best Chocolate Martini: Vodka, Chocolate Liqueur and Half & Half.
- Extra Creamy Chocolate Pudding Shots: Chocolate Pudding, Kahlua and Vodka yum.
- Double Chocolate Vodka Pudding Shots: Double Chocolate Vodka kind of says it all!
More White Russian Cocktails
- Coffee Liqueur
- Heavy Cream or Half & Half
Maple Syrup Sugar Rim (optional)
- Maple Syrup
- Brown Sugar
- Optional Sugar Rim: In one saucer add enough maple syrup to dip the rim of your glass. In the another saucer add a few teaspoons of brown sugar. Dip your glass in the maple syrup then roll the edge in the brown sugar.
- Combine Vodka, Coffee Liqueur and Cream.
- Add Ice and stir.
See post for any variations or additional garnish ideas. Drink Responsibly.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.