This Instant Pot Chicken Fajita Soup recipe is full of flavor, healthy and easy to make. The perfect pressure cooker soup for a one pot meal made with fresh onions, peppers and chicken.
Chicken fajita soup is a great change-up to traditional fajitas. You’re still getting your favorite chicken fajita flavors but packed into a delicious soup perfect for a cold-weather day.
This soup really hits the spot when you’re craving warm comfort foods but want a healthy meal option. Now, if you’re looking for a full-on comfort food instant pot soup, then you’ll want to try this Instant Pot Cram of Broccoli Cheese Soup.
Instant Pot Chicken Fajita Soup is a super simple recipe with little prep time. I do love an easy meal all made in one pot which (of course) makes it just as easy to clean up after dinner. That’s always a bonus, right?
You could certainly make this recipe in a slow cooker, but the whole reason to love instant pot recipes is the shorter cook time.
Is this Instant Pot Chicken Fajita Soup Recipe Low Carb?
Yes! The bell peppers, chicken breast, olive oil and chicken broth are all low carb ingredients. The Fajita Seasoning Packet will depend on the brand you choose, but they are typically low carb and low sugar making this a low carb and Keto friendly recipe.
The onions are higher in carbs, but are still allowed on a Keto diet in small quantities. In this recipe, you’ll need to cut back on the amount of onion you use. Instead of using a whole onion, opt for using a half cup of diced onions, which is only 3 carbs.
Watch your toppings if you want to keep this recipe low carb. Extra toppings such as sour cream or tortilla strips add extra carbs.
Can you Freeze Chicken Fajita Soup?
Absolutely! This soup is perfect for making a batch and saving for later. Simply use a freezer-safe container with an airtight lid. These 16 oz stackable soup containers are my favorite freezer containers because they are easy to store and they are microwave safe for reheating. Talk about making life easy!
Before reheating in the microwave, I’d let the soup thaw out in the refrigerator first. Or, use the defrost setting on your microwave. I wouldn’t go from frozen to heating on high in the microwave.
If you want to save this recipe for later, Pin this image to Pinterest.
Chicken Fajita Soup Ingredients
- Olive oil
- Red Bell Pepper
- Green Bell Pepper
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast
- Chicken Broth
- Fajita Seasoning Packet
- Optional toppings
Recipe Substitutes or Variations
- Onion: this recipe calls for a white onion, which is typically served with chicken fajitas. You can substitute a white onion with a yellow or red onion for a milder onion flavor.
- Bell Peppers: Red, Green and Yellow Bell Peppers are all the same vegetable, just at various degrees of ripeness. Red stays on the vine the longest and has a stronger flavor. Green is the least-ripe bell pepper with a milder flavor. I would not substitute the red pepper as it really adds to the flavor of the chicken fajita soup. You could easily substitute the green bell pepper for a yellow bell pepper.
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts: You can use a frozen or fresh large chicken breast. The cook time is the same either way.
- Fajita Seasoning Packet: You can also make your own Fajita seasoning mix of spices. I like to keep it simple and use the pre-packaged fajita seasoning. Use your favorite brand. Mine happens to be Lawry’s Chicken Fajita Seasoning Mix (their taco seasoning is amazing too!). For some reason, I have a hard time finding the Lawry’s brand in my area so sometimes I’ll order from Amazon or use what is readily available in the store.
How to Make Chicken Fajita Soup in the Instant Pot
Here are the easy 10 steps to make this Instant Pot Chicken Fajita Soup recipe.
Step 1: Prep the vegetables. Slice the onions and bell peppers into strips.
Step 2: Saute the vegetables. Turn your Instant Pot on the Saute mode. Add olive oil, onions and the red and green bell peppers. Saute the vegetables for about three minutes. Continually stir the vegetables so they turn over often.
Step 3: Add your frozen or fresh large chicken breast
Step 4: Add the chicken broth to the pot.
Step 5: Add water to about the fill line in a 6 quart instant pot.
Step 6: Add entire packet of chicken fajita seasoning and stir well.
Step 7: Turn off the instant pot saute mode and place the lid on top. Make sure you turn the valve to the sealed position. Press the Manual button or Pressure Cook button (depending on your model of the Instant Pot) and set it to 20 minutes.
Step 8: Once the 20 minute timer finishes, turn the valve to natural release to allow the inside pressure to decrease.
Step 9: Remove the chicken breast on to your cutting board and shred the chicken into the size chunks you prefer. Then return the chicken to the instant pot and stir in the chicken.
Additional Toppings (Optional)
- Grated Cheese
- Sour Cream
- Jalapeno Slices
- Tortilla Strips or Chips
I personally like to add avocado slices, cilantro and a little shredded cheese on top.
Super easy, delicious and a healthy comfort food! Enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. Nutritional values are estimates and not exact.
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 83Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 20mgSodium: 748mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 8g
Save it for later and pin it to Pinterest!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutritional values are estimates and not exact.