Strawberry Chocolate Chip Muffins are the perfect combination of fruity and chocolatey. It is one of my favorite muffin recipes and is great any time of the year or as a special treat for Valentine’s Day, Mother’s Day, or any special occasion!
I am a huge fan of yummy treats and these Strawberry Chocolate Chip Muffins fit the bill! Juicy strawberries and delicious chocolate chips? Yes, please! It’s like chocolate-covered strawberries meets bakery muffins.
Talk about the perfect breakfast and dessert (yep, our family eats them for dessert too!). These are one of our favorite things to eat (I really should make them more often…).
For more delicious recipes that are Valentine’s themed, try my Heart Shaped Strawberries and Cream Rice Krispie Treats, Valentines Cookie Cake, or this luscious Red Velvet Dip.
Now, if you need something super quick that’s delish, you’ll only need about 10 minutes to make these Donut Strawberry Shortcakes!
Why You’ll Love These Strawberry Chocolate Chip Muffins
- These are a great way to make anyone feel special – or just to treat yourself!
- They are made of simple ingredients that are easily found in your pantry or at your local grocery store.
- You can throw them together in under ten minutes and have them ready to eat just a half an hour after that!
- They are a dessert that will be loved by the whole family and your friends.
And if you’re looking for more breakfast ideas, you’ve got to try these to die for buttermilk blueberry muffins!
- Muffin Tins
- Paper Liners
- Non-Stick Cooking Spray
- Measuring Cup
- Small Bowl
- Medium Bowl
- Large Bowl
- Spoon or an Ice Cream Scoop
- Cooling Rack
Tips for Delicious Strawberry Chocolate Chip Muffins
- It’s important to be careful not to over mix the batter. Once you have added in the dry ingredients, give them a few stirs until everything is just combined. If you mix too much, it can lead to muffins that are too tough. To ensure light, fluffy muffins, less mixing is best.
- Always check to make sure your muffins are done with a wooden toothpick. Stick it in the middle of a muffin and if it comes out clean (or a few small crumbs) – your muffins are ready! If you pull the toothpick out and wet doughy texture is stuck to the toothpick, you’ll need to bake the muffins for a few more minutes.
- Let your frozen strawberries thaw just enough that they are easy to chop. Don’t let them thaw all the way, they’ll be too soft and could over cook.
- Use Pure Vanilla Extract, it tastes so much better in baked goods than the imitation.
- Use a spoon or a cookie scoop to make it easier to fill the muffin cups and make them all an the same size.
You’ll need the typical muffin ingredients along with the extras that turn them into strawberry chocolate chip muffins.
FROZEN STRAWBERRIES: These are the stars of the show! The chopped strawberries add a fun flavor and look to these chocolate strawberry muffins.
ALL PURPOSE FLOUR: You’ll use this in two parts – to coat the strawberries and to make the batter.
SUGAR: Sugar sweetens this easy recipe.
BAKING POWDER: This helps to give the muffins their fluffy texture.
GROUND CINNAMON: A little bit of cinnamon goes a long way in adding a wonderful taste and scent to the tender muffins.
SALT: Salt does a great job of enhancing all of the other flavors.
BUTTERMILK: This adds a great flavor and texture to the muffins.
VEGETABLE OIL: I use Canola oil. It helps to make these easy strawberry muffins perfectly moist without changing the flavor.
EGG: Eggs do all sorts of things for baked goods! They help to build the structure of the muffins while adding great flavor.
PLAIN YOGURT: Yogurt, similar to the buttermilk, adds a nice tang while forming nice, fluffy muffins. It’s also the key to making these strawberry chocolate chip muffins so moist!
VANILLA EXTRACT: Pure Vanilla Extract enhances all of the other flavors.
CHOCOLATE CHIPS: Gooey chocolate chips are the thing that will make this a favorite for chocolate lovers.
How to Make Strawberry Chocolate Chip Muffins
STEP 1: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
STEP 2: Put the liners in the bottom of the muffin pan and make sure each cupcake liner is sprayed with non-stick spray.
STEP 3: Use a spatula to mix the chopped strawberries in 2 tbsp of flour in a small bowl until the strawberries are covered.
STEP 4: Mix the dry ingredients in the large mixing bowl with a whisk: flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.
STEP 5: Whisk the wet ingredients in a medium bowl.
STEP 6: Combine the bowl of dry ingredients with the wet mixture and stir until just combined.
STEP 7: Fold in the diced strawberries and chocolate chips.
STEP 8: Pour the strawberry chocolate chip muffins batter in the muffin cups, filling them about 3/4 full. Then add additional chocolate chips on top.
STEP 9: Bake muffins for 20 minutes. Check for doneness by sticking a toothpick into the center of a muffin. If it comes out clean, they are finished! If not, try baking them for a couple of minutes more.
STEP 10: Cool on a wire rack.
Is it Best to Let Muffins Cool Before Removing from Pan?
Only let these strawberry chocolate chip muffins cool slightly, just a minute or two. Since they are still sitting in the hot muffin pan, they’ll continue to cook. If your muffins are already cooked to perfection, then leaving the in the pan will begin to overcook them.
Only let them cool enough for you to handle them safely. Then transfer the muffins to a cooling rack.
Variations and Substitutions
You can make this easy strawberry chocolate chip muffins recipe all your own! Here are a few ideas:
- If fresh strawberries are available, fell free to use them instead.
- You can substitute greek yogurt, unsweetened applesauce, or sour cream for the plain yogurt.
- You can try dark chocolate chips, white chocolate chips, or mini chocolate chips in place of or along with the milk chocolate chips.
- You can use whole wheat flour in place of the white flour. For a gluten-free muffin recipe, substitute gluten-free flour in the flour mixture.
- For a chocolate muffin, add cocoa powder.
- Make mini muffins rather than full size. On the other hand, combine it into a cake pan for a made from scratch muffin strawberry cake!
- Add some strawberry frosting on top of the muffin base after they have cooled.
Still need a delicious recipe to use up your fresh strawberries? This Strawberry Bread with sweet icing is perfect for dessert or breakfast.
How do you Store Leftover Muffins?
Muffins can be stored at room temperature in an airtight container or covered by plastic wrap. Be sure to let them cool before covering them.
Are these Strawberry Chocolate Chip Muffins calling your name yet? Next time you’ve got a sweets craving, try out this fun and easy recipe!
Strawberry Chocolate Chip Muffins (Extra Moist!)
Strawberry Chocolate Chip Muffins are the perfect combination of fruity and chocolatey. It is one of my favorite muffin recipes and is great any time of the year or as a special treat for Valentine's Day, Mother's Day, or any special occasion!
- 1 cup Frozen Strawberries, chopped
- 2 cups plus 2 tablespoons All Purpose Flour, divided
- 1 cup White Sugar
- 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 2/3 cup Buttermilk
- 1/2 cup Vegetable Oil
- 1 large Egg
- 2 1/2 tablespoons Plain Yogurt
- 1 teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- 3/4 cup Chocolate Chips, plus additional for garnish
- Let your frozen strawberries thaw just enough that they are easy to chop. Don't let them thaw all the way, they'll be too soft and could over cook.
Strawberry Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Put the cupcake liners in the bottom of the muffin pan and make sure each liner is sprayed with non-stick spray.
- Use a spatula to mix the chopped strawberries in 2 tbsp of flour in a small bowl until the strawberries are covered.
- Mix the dry ingredients in the large mixing bowl with a whisk: flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.
- Whisk the wet ingredients in a medium bowl.
- Combine the bowl of dry ingredients with the wet mixture and stir until just combined.
- Fold in the diced strawberries and chocolate chips.
- Pour the muffin batter in the muffin cups, filling them about 3/4 full. Then add additional chocolate chips on top.
- Bake muffins for 20 minutes. Check for doneness by sticking a toothpick into the center of a muffin. If it comes out clean, they are finished! If not, try baking them for a couple of minutes more.
- Cool on a wire rack
See recipe post for tips, substitutes and variations.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 223Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 16mgSodium: 161mgCarbohydrates: 27gFiber: 1gSugar: 24gProtein: 2g
Nutritional values are estimates and not exact.