These beautifully layered Tequila Sunrise Jello Shots is bursting with orange and cherry flavor. This party treat is made with tequila, orange jello, cherry jello, and orange juice. The maraschino cherry on top brings it altogether for a fun cocktail recipe.
Do you love layered jello shots? Then spice up your celebration with Tequila Sunrise Jello Shots! There’s no better way to get the party started.
The distinct layers make a fun gradient look – plus it’s an easy recipe to honor the classic tequila sunrise cocktail recipe.
For more jello shots made just like classic cocktails, try these Blue Hawaiian Jello Shots, Fuzzy Navel Jello Shots or these sweet Pina Colada Jello Shots!
Why You’ll Love Tequila Sunrise Jello Shots
- The colors are layered for gorgeous gradient effect and totally eye catching.
- Full of delicious flavors because of the two different kinds of jello and juices.
- They’re made with tequila! Tequila jello shots are very tasty.
- Easy to make with just a handful of ingredients and a few simple steps.
- Plastic Shot Glasses: 2 ounce plastic cups (here are the ones I use from Amazon)
- Small Saucepan
- Baking Sheet / Cookie Sheet
- Ladle with pouring spouts or an injector to easily fill the jello shot cups
Jello Shot Cups
I’m using 2 oz condiment cups that come with lids — you can grab them on Amazon here. The lids are great if you want to prepare them in advance or need to transport them.
Plus, they are inexpensive and disposable, making clean up a breeze!
More Jello Shots to Love
Strawberry Margarita Jello Shots
Here is what you will need to make this yummy tequila sunrise jello shots recipe. The full measurements for this recipe are at the bottom of the post in the printable recipe card.
CHERRY JELLO: Bright red cherry jello and orange jello are an amazing combination of flavors.
ORANGE JELLO: One package of of orange jello to make the orange layer which is made up of orange jello and orange juice.
MARASCHINO CHERRY JUICE: Elevate the cherry flavor to a whole new level! The cherry juice is a game changer. If you happen to prefer, you can use grenadine syrup.
ORANGE JUICE: You will do the same with the orange juice. It is going to enhance the orange jello. Make sure it is pulp free orange juice.
TEQUILA: Use your favorite Silver Tequila to add the boozy kick. The better the tequila, the better these tequila sunrise jello shots will taste. So, keep that in mind when choosing your tequila. I personally use Olmeca Altos Plata – it has a good price point, it’s smooth and has notes of citrus flavors which makes it mix very well with these jello shots.
MARASCHINO CHERRIES: Top off with a cherry for the perfect garnish.
WATER: You’ll need hot water to dissolve the gelatin. Note: instead of using cold water (like many jello shot recipes call for) you’re going to use fruit juices to replace the cold water for a stronger flavor.
How to Make Tequila Sunrise Jello Shots
STEP 1: Line up your plastic cups on a baking sheet. This helps catch any spillage and makes it way easier to move them in and out of the refrigerator.
STEP 2: Using a small saucepan, bring a cup of water to a boil. Remove from the heat once it’s boiling.
STEP 3: Pour in the cherry jello packet and stir until the gelatin dissolves.
STEP 4: Next add in the cherry juice and tequila. Stir well.
STEP 5: Pour the mixture 2/3 of the way full in each plastic shot glass. Let it chill for 2 hours in the refrigerator to set the jello.
STEP 6: Next you will follow the same process with the orange jello. Bring 1/2 cup water to a boil, then mix the orange jello with boiling water, stirring until completely dissolved.
STEP 7: Add the orange juice and tequila into the jello mixture and stir to combine.
STEP 8: Once your cherry jello layer has setup, top each of the plastic shot glasses with the orange jello mixture. Refrigerate to let the jello set up.
STEP 9: Once you are ready to serve these tequila sunrise jello shots, garnish with a maraschino cherry.
Variations To Recipe
- Top with a mandarin peel or mandarin wedge along with the cherry. You could also do orange slices in replace of cherry.
- Add a dollop of whipped cream on top.
- You can use grenadine in replace of maraschino cherry juice.
- If you don’t want a layered effect you can mix the orange gelatin with the cherry and then pour into each of the cups without creating the layers.
Here’s how Tequila Sunrise Jello Shots look if you want don’t want to make the layers. I love to make them both ways, it just depends on if I want them to look more fancy or not.
When to Serve Jello Shots
Whip up this Tequila Sunrise Jello Shot recipe for all kinds of celebrations or any occasion you want to add a little extra fun:
- Summer Get-Together with friends
- Birthday Parties
- Pool Parties
- Camping Trip
- Lawn Games
- A Backyard BBQ
- Game night with friends
- Chill your tequila and orange juice. This will help the jello setup a little quicker.
- Do you love reposado tequilas? Often smoother because they’ve been aged longer, it will work just perfectly in this recipe because the darker color doesn’t really change the look.
- Don’t add your tequila while the water is still boiling. This will cause an alcohol loss because it will burn off.
Can I Make These Jello Shots in Advance?
Go right ahead and whip these up a day or two in advance so you have more time to prep for your eent. These will store for up to three days with the plastic lid on top, so feel free to prep them ahead.
Only create the the jello mix layers. Just before serving, add the maraschino cherry on top.
Why Let the First Layer Set Up for 2 hours?
You have to let the red layer set completely or if you go and pour the orange jello over the top, the colors will blend together. If you want to create that layered look, the first cherry layer needs to setup first before pouring the warm orange layer on top.
How do you Take a Jello Shot?
You can use a spoon, a dull knife, your tongue or even your finger to run it around the edge of the container to loosen up the jello. Then once it is loose from the cup, pop the jello in mouth and chew it up and swallow it.
It’s also nice to serve these with individual little spoons for guests who want to eat a little at a time instead of one big swallow.
Tequila Sunrise Jello Shots are the perfect way to add some fun and excitement to your next party. These bright and delicious boozy treats take the classic tequila based cocktail and give it a fun jiggly twist.
Tequila Sunrise Jello Shots
This beautiful layered Tequila Sunrise Jello Shots is bursting with orange and cherry flavor. This party treat is made with tequila, orange jello, cherry jello, and orange juice. The maraschino cherry on top brings it altogether for a fun cocktail recipe.
- 1 box Cherry Jello (3 oz)
- 1 box Orange Jello (3 oz)
- 1 cup Boiling Water, divided
- 1⁄2 cup Maraschino Cherry Juice
- 1⁄2 cup Orange Juice, pulp free
- 1 1⁄2 cup Silver Tequila, divided
- Garnishes (optional): Maraschino Cherries and/or orange slices
- Line up your plastic cups on a baking sheet. This helps catch any spillage and makes it way easier to move them in and out of the refrigerator.
- Using a small saucepan, bring a 1/2 cup of water to a boil. Remove from the heat once it's boiling.
- Pour in the cherry jello packet and stir until the gelatin completely dissolves.
- Next add in the 1/2 cup of maraschino cherry juice and 1/2 cup tequila. Stir well.
- Pour the mixture 2/3 of the way full in your shot glass. Let it chill for 2 hours in the refrigerator to set the jello.
- Next, you will do the same process with the orange jello. Mix the orange jello packet with 1/2 cup boiling water and stir until completely dissolved.
- Pour in 1/2 cup of orange juice and 1/2 cup tequila into the jello mixture and stir to combine.
- Once your cherry jello layer has setup, top each of the plastic shot glasses with the orange jello mixture. Refrigerate to let the jello set up.
- Once you are ready to serve, garnish with a maraschino cherry and/or orange slices.
See recipe post for variations and tips. Drink Responsibly.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 97Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 30mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 1gSugar: 10gProtein: 1g
Nutritional values are estimates and not exact.