This Valentines Cookie Cake is so cute and delicious! A chocolate chip cookie cake is the perfect way to say Happy Valentine’s Day! This extra chocolate-y Valentines dessert is soft, chewy and amazing!
While this heart cookie cake is ideal for Valentine’s Day, it can be used for other special occasions as well! Don’t just save this delicious cookie cake just for Valentine’s Day. It’s a special dessert that could be made for Mother’s Day, an anniversary, or may become your family’s birthday cake of choice!
Want to stick with the heart theme? Add these Strawberries and Cream flavored Heart Shaped Rice Krispie Treats.
Why You’ll Love Valentine’s Day Cookie Cake Recipe
- This homemade Valentines cookie cake is going to taste better than one you can find anywhere else – even Mrs. Fields! Homemade is always the way to go when it comes to baked goods.
- Once you have this cookie cake all decorated, it is definitely one for the ‘gram! It is a beautiful treat that is also delicious.
- This recipe is a fancy version of a batch of cookies – which is sure to please the kids in your life!
- Most of these simple ingredients are likely to already be in your pantry, making it easy to whip together without a trip to the grocery store.
What is the Difference Between a Cookie and a Cookie Cake?
A cookie cake is essentially a batch of cookie dough made into one giant cookie. It is dubbed a cake because of it’s large, round size and thickness. This Valentines cookie cake is thicker than a typical chocolate chip cookie.
The ingredients are still the same as regular cookies, but need a longer baking time in order to cook the cookie cake completely.
More Valentine’s Day Desserts
- 9-inch Heart-Shaped Cookie Cake Pan (here’s the heart pan I bought on Amazon)
- Two Large Bowls
- Standing Electric Mixer
- Large Piping Bag with a Large Star Tip
- Cake Board (here are some inexpensive disposable cake boards)
- Pam Baking Spray
Valentines Cookie Cake
Here’s my homemade chocolate chip cookie recipe, feel free to use your own if you prefer!
UNSALTED SWEET CREAM BUTTER: Butter gives flavor as well as rise to chocolate chip cookies. You will want it to be softened so you can more easily mix it into the dough.
LIGHT BROWN SUGAR: Brown sugar adds a delicious sweetness as well as a soft, moist texture.
SUGAR: Sugar adds the sweetness we all know and love as well as the golden brown color we expect.
EGGS: Eggs are needed for moisture as well as structure.
EGG YOLK: In addition to the full eggs, you’ll need a couple of egg yolks. This is going to give even more flavor and a velvety texture.
VANILLA EXTRACT: The purpose of vanilla extract is to enhance the flavors of all of the other ingredients in the cookie dough.
BAKING SODA: This helps to create a soft and fluffy cookie.
KOSHER SALT: Salt helps the flour become even stronger and helps to sweeten the cookies.
FLOUR: Cookies need flour to rise and form the right shape.
SEMI-SWEET CHOCOLATE CHIPS: You can’t have chocolate chip cookies without chocolate chips!
VALENTINE’S DAY SPRINKLES: This is an easy way to give your Valentine cookie cake a little fun!
Homemade Chocolate Frosting
This sweet frosting is delicious on top of this Valentines cookie cake.
UNSALTED SWEET CREAM BUTTER: Again, you will want the butter softened. It helps to form the base and add delicious flavor.
POWDERED SUGAR: This type of sugar is able to dissolve quickly and help the frosting become deliciously smooth.
HERSHEY COCOA POWDER: Cocoa powder will give a chocolate flavor to your frosting.
HEAVY WHIPPING CREAM: Adding heavy cream is helpful for thickening the frosting.
PURE VANILLA EXTRACT: This will bring out the other flavors in the frosting.
VALENTINE’S DAY SPRINKLES: A fun topping to finish off your Valentines Day Cookie Cake!
How to Make A Valentines Cookie Cake
Set butter out for 30 minutes at room temperature to soften.
Chocolate Chip Cookie Directions
STEP 1: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
STEP 2: Combine flour, baking soda, and salt in one large bowl with a whisk. Set aside.
STEP 3: Beat the softened butter, sugar, and brown sugar, eggs and vanilla in a separate large mixing bowl until light and fluffy.
STEP 4: Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and beat until the dough forms.
STEP 5: Fold in the sprinkles and all but 1/2 cup of the chocolate chips.
STEP 6: Spray your pan with non-stick cooking spray, then press the cookie dough into the cake pan.
STEP 7: Sprinkle the rest of the chocolate chips and some more sprinkles on top.
STEP 8: Place into your preheated oven and bake for 25-30 minutes, until the edges have set and the giant cookie cake is a light golden brown.
STEP 9: Remove from oven and let it cool down completely before decorating.
Chocolate Frosting Directions
STEP 1: Combine all of the ingredients into a medium mixing bowl and use your standing mixer to beat until combined.
STEP 2: Transfer the frosting into the piping bag with star tip.
How to Decorate this Valentines Cookie Cake
STEP 1: Carefully remove the cookie cake from the baking pan and place on the cake board (or a large platter).
STEP 2: Pipe frosting dollops all around the edge of the Valentines cookie cake.
STEP 3: Sprinkle more Valentine’s Day sprinkles on top.
Variations and Substitutions
- If you don’t have a heart-shaped pan, make a free-form heart on some parchment paper laid on top of a baking sheet. Form your cookie dough into a heart following your parchment cut out. Please note, your cookie cake will spread! Which means you’ll need to adjust your cooking time. Since it won’t be as thick, your cookie cake will cook faster. Honestly, just grab this heart baking pan, it’ll make your life so much easier!
- Change out the frosting for a pink or red frosting if you want more color on your Valentines cookie cake.
- Mix up the chocolate chips by using some milk chocolate, dark chocolate, or white chocolate chips.
- Add Valentines M&Ms to the cookie dough for more color (and taste). These come in red, white and pink and will look cute in your Valentines cookie cake.
- Use vanilla buttercream frosting in place of the chocolate frosting.
Can I Make this Cookie Cake in Advance?
Sure! You can make up your cookie dough in advance and store it in the refrigerator for 1-2 days ahead of time. You can even make your frosting ahead of time and store it in an airtight container until you’re ready to decorate this heart-shaped chocolate chip cookie cake.
I suggest setting your frosting out and let it warm up to room temperature before adding it to your piping bag. It’ll be much softer and easier to work with once it’s not cold.
You can also bake the cookie heart a day a head of time and cover it in plastic wrap to keep it from drying out. Then decorate it before presenting it to your friends and family.
How do you Keep Cookie Cake Fresh?
Valentines Cookie Cake can to sit out at room temperature. Store it either wrapped in plastic wrap or inside an airtight container to help keep their chewy texture.
- Be careful not to over bake your Valentines Cookie Cake. You want a soft and chewy cookie cake but over baking will make it crunchy.
- Spray your cookie pan with a non-stick cooking spray to make it easier to remove from the pan.
- If you don’t have a piping bag, use a ziploc bag. Cut a hole in a bottom corner just big enough to push your start tip through. Fill with frosting and decorate.
I hope you are excited to try out this delicious Valentines Cookie Cake! It is a cookie recipe you can use in many ways for years to come!
Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake Ingredients
- 1 1⁄2 cups Unsalted Sweet Cream Butter, softened
- 1 1⁄2 cups Light Brown Sugar
- 1⁄2 cup Sugar
- 2 large Eggs
- 2 Egg Yolks
- 4 teaspoons Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons Baking Soda
- 1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 2 1⁄2 cups Flour
- 2 cups Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips
- 3⁄4 cup Valentine Sprinkles
- 1⁄2 cup Unsalted Sweet Cream Butter, softened
- 2 cups Powdered Sugar
- 1⁄2 cup Hershey Cocoa Powder
- 3 tablespoons Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1 tablespoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1⁄4 cup Valentine Sprinkles
Chocolate Chip Cookie Directions
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine flour, baking soda, and salt in one large bowl with a whisk. Set aside.
- Beat the softened butter, sugar, and brown sugar, eggs and vanilla in a separate large mixing bowl until light and fluffy.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and beat until the cookie dough forms.
- Fold in the sprinkles and all but 1/2 cup of the chocolate chips.
- Spray your pan with non-stick cooking spray, then press the cookie dough into the cake pan.
- Sprinkle the rest of the chocolate chips and some more sprinkles on top.
Place into your preheated oven and bake for 25-30 minutes, until the edges have set and the giant cookie cake is a light golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let it cool down completely before decorating.
Chocolate Frosting Directions
- Combine all of the ingredients into a medium mixing bowl and use your standing mixer to beat until combined.
- Transfer the frosting into the piping bag with star tip.
How to Decorate Valentines Cookie Cake
- Carefully remove the cookie cake from the baking pan and place on the cake board (or a large platter).
- Pipe frosting dollops all around the edge of the Valentines cookie cake.
- Sprinkle more Valentine's Day sprinkles on top.
See recipe post for variations and recipe tips.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 180Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 11mgSodium: 100mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 0gSugar: 15gProtein: 8g
Nutritional values are estimates and not exact.