This Dirty Monkey drink recipe makes a deliciously creamy cocktail with tropically flavored ingredients. It’s one of those favorite frozen drinks at the resort bar that everyone wants to try and for good reason!
This delicious Dirty Monkey is made with rum, but people often substitute it with vodka (so it’s your choice!)
Either way, the banana, pineapple juice and Kahlua are the prevailing flavors and then it’s topped off with chocolate. Scrumptious!
A Dirty Monkey drink tastes just like you are on a tropical vacation! It’s a popular cocktail especially on both coasts of Mexico, from Mazatlan to Playa del Carmen. Particularly popular in Cancun!
I recently spent a relaxing week in Mazatlan, Mexico. The weather was perfect, delicious food abundant, and the drinks….. Well, I was prompted to share some wonderful places to enjoy a tropical cocktail, especially the Dirty Monkey, with you all.
I stayed at Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay resort and which is a sister resort to the Pueblo Bonito Mazatlan. The first night out for dinner, we rode the complimentary bus over to the other resort and had a fabulous al fresco dinner at their Cilantro’s restaurant. As we were led to the table, the sunset was just about to happen, so I quickly ordered a couple of drinks and we saluted a fabulous dinner to come on the edge of the beach.
Back at Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay, a bartender extraordinaire named Alejandro offered to share the secret of their most popular pool drink, the Dirty Monkey – which essentially tastes like a boozy milkshake. Known in Spanish as Chango Sucio, this frozen delight is now one of my favorite drinks.
Why You’ll Love The Dirty Monkey
- Tastes like a boozy creamy banana milkshake
- Super creamy milkshake type drink
- The perfect dessert drink
- The sweet tasted of dark rum
- Will make you feel like your on a tropical vacation.
- Delicious cocktail and you’ll probably want more than one!
Kitchen Equipment Needed
- Tall glass – preferably a Hurricane Glass
- Blender – The Ninja Blender is amazing and crushes ice like a boss!
- Jigger (shot glass, but this jigger makes it easier to measure!)
- Drink Umbrella (of course! Grab this inexpensive pack of drink umbrellas)
Dirty Monkey Drink Ingredients:
Here’s the recipe and you can scroll below for a printable version.
There are 7 Dirty Monkey drink ingredients.
- 1/2 of a Ripe Banana (or half of a frozen banana)
- 1.5 ounce Aged Rum (Bacardi Anejo is a good choice)
- 2 ounces Pineapple Juice
- 1/2 ounce Kahlua
- A splash of Banana Liqueur (I use 99 Bananas)
- A splash of Cream of Coconut
- Chocolate syrup for garnish
How to Make a Dirty Monkey
The Dirty Monkey recipe calls for 7 ingredients and a blender. You’ll need three liquors: aged rum (or vodka if you prefer), Kahlua and banana liqueur.
TIP: The recipe only calls for a splash of the banana liquor, so don’t worry if you don’t have any in your liquor cabinet. Of course, it adds a little more alcohol and banana flavor, but you can compensate by adding more fresh bananas and an extra splash of rum (or vodka if you’re using it instead).
Grab your blender and let’s make this delicious cocktail!
This is a quick and easy drink you can make pretty fast. There’s very little preparation.
- Combine all ingredients in a blender (except the chocolate syrup). Blend the three liquors – Aged Rum, Kahlua and Banana Liqueur with a half of a banana, pineapple juice and cream of coconut.
- Add a cup of ice and blend until smooth an creamy=.
- Drizzle the inside of a tall glass with chocolate syrup.
- Pour mixture into your tall glass.
Now it’s time to drink this deliciousness!
- Add whipped cream on top for and extra sweet taste. Although this is a really creamy cocktail, the whipped cream will add even more creaminess.
- Top with a Maraschino cherry
No time to make it right now? Save it for later and Pin it to your Pinterest Drinks Board!
When to Serve
This is definitely a summer cocktail! Make this drink for:
- Pool Parties
- Backyard BBQ
- Make a big batch for your beach visits
- Summer get-togethers on the back deck to watch the sunset
You can find these luscious concoctions and Alejandro in Mazatlan, Mexico at the lobby bar of Emerald Bay which is called Kelly’s Bar. This is their amazing Dirty Monkey recipe!
Talk about the perfect tropical vacation!
This bar’s ambiance is reminiscent of a place Papa Hemingway would have loved. Dark, comfy chairs and sofas, wood paneled walls and wild game trophy heads abound.
There is live music several nights a week and Alejandro will pour you lovely libations, especially their specialty, the Dirty Monkey drink.
You also might try a Dirty Banana! A similar style cocktail but different than the Dirty Monkey Recipe because it’s made with vodka and does not include pineapple juice.
With every sip of this Dirty Monkey cocktail, the flavors of sweet banana, rich chocolate, and creamy coconut will have you indulging in a decadent dessert while sipping on a delicious frozen cocktail.
- 1/2 of a very ripe banana
- 1.5 ounces Aged dark rum
- 2 ounces Pineapple juice
- 1/2 ounce Kahlua liqueur
- Splash of banana liqueur
- Splash of Cream de Coco
- Chocolate Syrup
- Combine all ingredients in the blender (except chocolate syrup).
- Add one cup of ice.
- Blend until smooth.
- Drizzle the inside of a tall glass with chocolate syrup.
- Pour mixture into glass.
Tip: A ripe banana adds more flavor than a green banana. Drink Responsibly.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 510Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 17mgSodium: 36mgCarbohydrates: 76gFiber: 5gSugar: 51gProtein: 4g
Nutritional values are estimates and not exact.
I live in Port Aransas, Texas and love all things Parrot Head and Trop Rock. I enjoy interviewing Trop Rock artists, attending events and always look forward to seeing Trop Rock friends from around the nation! Author of the Trop Rock lyric infused cozy mystery book "Schooled for Murder." Check out my website at www.CindyMuir.com