Air Fryer Mexican Chicken Wings are a fun new addition to whip up on Taco Tuesdays. Anytime you’re having a Taco Night with friends and family it’s the perfect time to make some Air Fryer Mexican Wings.
A nice crispy skin sprinkled with Mexican taco seasoning, makes tender juicy chicken on the inside with a crispy and tasty outer skin.
Why You’ll Love this Air Fryer Mexican Wings Recipe
Air Fryer Recipes are so easy to make and really bring great flavor to your wings. Air Fryer Mexican Wings (also known as Air Fryer Taco Wings) are:
- Healthier than traditional deep-fried crispy wings because you’re not soaking them in oil in a deep fryer.
- Air frying is faster than baking them in the oven. It takes only a fraction of the time. In an oven it takes 45 minutes to an hour to get crispy chicken wings.
- Wings are a great finger-lickin’ main course or the best air fryer chicken wings appetizer to serve to friends and family.
- Perfect game day appetizer.
The best way to serve these bad boys is to grab some celery sticks, carrot sticks, and your favorite sauce such as ranch dressing or bleu cheese. Or make it a full on Mexican appetizer with salsa and tortilla chips!
We love serving up wings to our guests and have some of the crispiest wings and tastiest recipes. Try our Air Fryer Jerk Chicken Wings, Air Fryer Lemon Pepper Wings or these tangy Air Fryer BBQ Wings.
- Air Fryer – if you have a small basket and want to upgrade, this Ninja Air Fryer has a generous basket making it much easier to cook all your chicken wings at one time.
- Microwave Safe Bowl
- Basting Brush
TIP: If you have a small air fryer basket, these air fryer trays are perfect for being able to cook more wings at once!
This has to be the easiest chicken wing recipe, you only need 4 ingredients for these crispy air fryer wings and those ingredients are pantry staple ingredients, stuff you already have in the kitchen.
CHICKEN WINGS: This recipe is enough for 12 wings, approximately 1 – 1 1/2 pounds of chicken wings.
SALT & BLACK PEPPER: Can’t have wings without it!
BUTTER: Melting the butter and then basting it on the whole wings helps the seasoning stick to them. If you prefer a healthier option, you can swap this out for non stick cooking spray or avocado oil spray. Butter adds more flavor, but if you’re keen on saving a few calories an olive oil cooking spray will work.
TACO SEASONING: Use your favorite store-bought or homemade taco seasoning.
How to Make Air Fryer Mexican Chicken Wings
STEP 1: Remove wings from the refrigerator and let them reach room temperature before patting them dry with a paper towel. The more moisture you remove, the crispier they’ll turn out.
STEP 2: Use a microwave safe bowl to melt your butter.
STEP 3: Using a basting brush, brush the wings with the melted butter.
STEP 4: Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
STEP 5: Preheat the Air Fryer to 390F. This takes 1-2 minutes depending on your air fryer model. If you aren’t sure, wait two minutes before placing your wings in the air fryer basket or on the air fryer tray.
TIP: Make sure to place wings in a single layer. An air fryer is like a mini convection oven, cooking at high heat and circulating hot air. Keeping the wings in a single layer makes sure the air circulates around all parts of the chicken wings.
STEP 6: Set the cook time for 20 minutes.
STEP 7: Remove wings from the air fryer basket and lightly coat with more butter.
STEP 8: Sprinkle with Mexican seasoning or taco seasoning just like you would with a simple dry rub seasoning.
STEP 9: Place the Mexican chicken wings back in the fryer for 5 more minutes or until the wings are at your desired level of crispiness.
STEP 10: Serve with your favorite dipping sauce.
Why Are My Air Fryer Wings Soggy?
If you have soggy wings, not crispy air fryer chicken wings then you might be overcrowding the basket or tray. Place the wings in the the tray or basket in a single layer so the fryer has enough room to circulate the hot air around evenly.
If you have a small air fryer basket, you’ll need to make your air fryer Mexican wings in batches. Or you can get these air fryer trays to insert into your basket and capitalize on the vertical space, allowing you to cook more wings at one time.
How Long Do You Cook Wings In An Air Fryer?
Cook wings in the air fryer for 25 minutes to get the best chicken wings that have a crispy outside.
The cooking time for your wings will vary depending on your fryer’s make, model, and size of your type of air fryer. The cook time may also change depending on the size of your whole chicken wings.
There’s no harm in opening the air fryer basket to check the progress of your wings the first time you make them. After your first batch, you’ll know exactly how long to air fry the wings next time around.
Always use a meat thermometer to make sure you chicken wings reach an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
How to Store Mexican Chicken Wings
What, you have leftovers?!?! These wings are so tasty we rarely have any leftovers.
But, if you do or you made a double batch of air fryer Mexican chicken wings, you can always store them for later.
Any leftover wings can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. If you plan on eating them later that day or tomorrow, store them in a zip-top bag or wrap them in aluminum foil.
How to Reheat Air Fryer Wings
To reheat these air fryer Mexican wings, preheat the fryer and pop them back in the air fryer basket at 350 degrees for about 5-7 minutes. This will bring back a nice crispy skin that you had originally.
Using a conventional oven or microwave will leave you with soggy wings, so I don’t recommend it.
More Air Fryer Chicken Wings Recipes
Air fryer Mexican chicken wings are super delicious! But here are more flavors to try to rotate your chicken wings appetizers:
Air Fryer Mexican Chicken Wings really are so easy to make and are one of the best wings recipe. Simple steps and a handful of ingredients is all you need before you’re chowing down on these scrumptious air fryer Mexican wings.
- 12 Chicken Wings (approximately 1 - 1 1/2 pounds)
- Salt, to taste
- Black Pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup Butter, melted
- Mexican Seasoning or Taco Seasoning
- Remove wings from the refrigerator and let them reach room temperature before patting them dry with a paper towel. The more moisture you remove, the crispier they'll turn out.
- Use a microwave safe bowl to melt your butter.
- Using a basting brush, brush the wings with the melted butter.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Preheat the Air Fryer to 390F. This takes 1-2 minutes depending on your air fryer model. If you aren't sure, wait two minutes before placing your wings in the air fryer basket or on the air fryer tray.
- Set the cook time for 20 minutes.
- Remove wings from the air fryer basket and lightly coat with more butter.
- Sprinkle with Mexican seasoning or taco seasoning just like you would with a simple dry rub seasoning.
- Place the Mexican chicken wings back in the fryer for 5 more minutes or until the wings are at your desired level of crispiness.
- Serve with your favorite dipping sauce.
See recipe posts for extra tips.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 124Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 32mgSodium: 250mgCarbohydrates: 3gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 5g
Nutritional values are estimates and not exact.