These Malibu Watermelon Rum Jello Shots are a fun way to start the party! A delicious and easy recipe you and your guests are going to love them. Watermelon jello with Malibu Watermelon Rum creates the tastiest jello shots recipe.
Jello shots really give off a fun party vibe and these Malibu Watermelon Rum Jello Shots shots are a blast!
The fresh fruity flavor of watermelon jello shots are perfect for summer parties. Grab your friends, have some fun and serve these jello shots at your next BBQ, backyard gathering or pool party.
You can make an extra colorful display if you want to add the rum Starburst Jello Shots too!
Pro Tip: I’ve tried all kinds of jello shots and the best tip I have is to find the best tasting matching liquor to the jello flavor you’re using. It gives your jello shots more flavor and the taste is smoother. For example, check out these Peach Watermelon Jello Shots with Peach Vodka.
Make sure you stock up on supplies because you’ll probably need to make more than one batch. Everyone loves these watermelon jello shots with Malibu rum.
Malibu Watermelon Rum Jello Shot Ingredients
- 4 oz box of Sonic Watermelon Jello
- 1.5 cups of boiling water
- 1.5 cups of Malibu Watermelon Rum
- Mini plastic jello shot cups (2 oz)
- Watermelon gummies for garnish (optional)
- Watermelon designed Tropical Drink Umbrellas are also fun and it’s easier to remove the jello shot from the cup (optional)
Tip: If you want more shots from each batch you can use the smaller 1 oz mini condiment cups.
Sonic Watermelon Jello vs. Other Watermelon Jello
Honestly, choose the watermelon jello brand you prefer!
If you are using a different brand of watermelon jello, please note that Sonic Watermelon Jello is almost 4 oz of gelatin powder, while most others are 3 oz.
If you are using a 3 oz box of Watermelon Jello, here is how you need to adapt the recipe for perfect watermelon jello shots with Malibu rum:
- 3 oz Watermelon Jello
- 1 cup of water
- 1 cup of Malibu Watermelon Rum
No time to make these watermelon jello shots right now? Save it for later and Pin it to Pinterest!
Watermelon Jello Shot Garnish
There are several good options to garnish these Malibu Rum Watermelon jello shots. Try any of these ideas:
- Watermelon Gummies – these are fun watermelon flavored sweet and sour gummy candies.
- Fresh Watermelon Slice – cut small pieces of watermelon and garnish the side of the mini shot glass cuts.
- Fresh Fruits – strawberry, pineapple, blueberries and apples taste great with watermelon jello shots.
Malibu Watermelon Rum or Malibu Coconut Rum?
Malibu Watermelon Rum was just released in April 2021 and it’s a mashup of their traditional coconut rum and fresh watermelon fruit. I’ve just got my hands on a bottle and excited to try new Malibu Watermelon rum recipes!
Before Malibu Watermelon Rum existed, we simply made watermelon jello shots with Malibu Coconut Rum. This is a great flavor combination especially if you’re a big fan of coconut rum.
Now we have the option for a little less coconut and a lot more watermelon flavor in the Malibu Watermelon Rum. Although you can certainly use the original coconut rum in these jello shots, I highly suggest trying them with the Malibu Watermelon Rum.
With Malibu Watermelon Rum the flavors blend even better with watermelon jello, yet you still get a taste of the islands with the coconut. Win-win, right?
More Fun Jello Shots For the Summer
Here are a few other great summer jello shot recipes you might want to give a try this summer!
Pineapple Jello Shots – tropical pineapple yum.
Peach Jello Shots with Vodka– peaches are a summertime staple.
Crown Royal Peach Jello Shots – ever thought about flavored whisky in jello shots? Delish!
Yellow Lemon Starburst Jello Shots – fresh lemon with a sugary taste.
Blue Raspberry Jello Shots – fun blue color and berry flavors.
Pina Colada Jello Shots – tastes like a pina colada in a jello shot!
Peanut Butter Whiskey Jello Shots – gorgeous grape PB&J jello shots.
Blue Hawaiian Jello Shots (Coconut Rum Yum) – pineapple and coconut are the perfect jello shot combination.
Margarita Tequila Jello Shots – just like the classic cocktail.
How to Make Malibu Rum Watermelon Jello Shots
Here’s how to make Watermelon jello shots with Malibu Rum. Get out your pot, a measuring cup and all the ingredients. These will be ready in just a few minutes (except for the 2-3 hours needed to chill the jello).
Step by Step Directions:
- Boil 1.5 cups of water.
- Pour in the box of watermelon jello and turn off the stove.
- Whisk jello and water together until all the powder is dissolved.
- Pour in 1.5 cups of Malibu Watermelon Rum and stir.
- Place the mini jello shot cups in a small pan, muffin pan or on a cookie sheet and pour the mixture into each cup.
- Place the jello shots in the fridge and for chilling. This takes approximately 2-3 hours until the jello firms up.
- Top with garnishes such as watermelon gummies, a watermelon slice and/or drink umbrellas when you’re ready to serve.
Note: You can make jello shots up to 2 days ahead of time and store them in the fridge with the lids on top.
Your friends will love these fun Malibu Watermelon Rum jello shots. This boozy treat will be a favorite at the party!
- 4 ounce box of Sonic Watermelon Jello
- 1.5 cup of boiling water
- 1.5 cup of Malibu Watermelon Rum
- Mini plastic jello shot cups (1 ounce or 2 ounce)
- Watermelon gummies or Watermelon fruit slices for garnish (optional)
- Boil 1 cup of water.
- Once boiling, pour in box of jello.
- Mix well until all powder is dissolved.
- Remove from stove.
- Pour in 1 cup Malibu Watermelon Rum.
- Pour mixture into mini shot cups.
- Place in the refrigerator until jello shots are firm, approximately 2 - 3 hours.
- Garnish with Watermelon gummies or watermelon slices (optional)
- Decorate with cocktail umbrellas (optional),
If using a 3 oz box of Watermelon Jello, reduce water to 1 cup and reduce Malibu Watermelon Rum to 1 cup.
See article for variations and additional garnishment ideas. Drink Responsibly.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 37Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 11mgCarbohydrates: 7gFiber: 1gSugar: 6gProtein: 1g
Nutritional values are estimates and not exact.